Seeking Tips for a Bareboat Charter Company in Southern California

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I'm wanting to charter a sailboat (probably monohull but possibly a catamaran) in the 35-40' range somewhere between Los Angeles and San Diego for a week in mid-June to sail around the Channel Islands area. The places that I've found so far are mostly sailing clubs that only charter to their members. If anyone has experience with a charter company that they would recommend that would be a good starting point.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do an internet search on "bareboat charter sailboat near los angeles".

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Years ago I chartered a bareboat for the day in long Beach. I do not recall their name. Due to insurance the sailing area is limited.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm sure you've searched google et. al. and found the same thing others turned up over the years....Nothing but skippered party boats or small daysailors. It's a common question from out of area sailors. As you've discovered, the multi day, self-skippered sailboat charters are pretty much restricted to clubs. Therefore, that might be a good option to consider...since membership is usually not that costly and qualifying to charter the boats may be easier than you think. I have no direct knowledge, but I've known folks that use this method to get their sailing in rather than carry the burden of yacht ownership. The big one in san diego is Harbor Sailboats . I think it might be quite informational to give them a call. Can't hurt... and I'd like to hear about the result of the call....so give us an update. Good Luck