Generator on a Hunter 326 (32')

Mar 30, 2021
Hunter 2002 Hunter 326 AUSTIN, TEXAS
What sort of generator do I need to run my AC and other equipment on my Hunter 326? Is it practical? Where do you place it?

Mar 30, 2021
Hunter 2002 Hunter 326 AUSTIN, TEXAS
I am looking to find a generator for my 32' Hunter. Can anyone recommend a unit that will power my 15-20 W AC and other items running on 110 volts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I believe you want to identify the power demand of the AC unit. Once you know that you will know how much power you need to produce. Suggest your generator be of a size larger than the max demand of the AC...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Can anyone recommend a unit that will power my 15-20 W AC and other items running on 110 volts
John has a sage point above. Need some clarification regarding your AC unit. Did it come with the boat, in other words, is it a reverse cycle unit that has a pump that draws sea/fresh water for cooling? What rating in BTUs? You say it consumes 20 watts, which translates to 0.167 amps, which does not seem likely. Perhaps 15-20 amps?

Our boat came equipped with dual MarineAir reverse cycle heat pumps (16,000 BTUs main cabin/9,000 BTUs aft cabin) that draw sea water for cooling and heating. Each consume about 10 amps with the sea water pump another three amps. Our boat also came with a diesel 8KW (about 66 amps) Onan Genset, which is probably more than you need. So, depending upon the type of unit you have will determine the size of generator; probably a Honda 2000 portable unit might work for your needs, that is unless you want a fixed unit in your boat like we have.

A fixed unit does complicate matters somewhat. Where to place it, all the connections, etc., etc, etc. As many other boaters have done, a portable unit can be placed on deck while it is running. The newer units run pretty quiet and are gas operated. Certainly a more uncomplicated solution; pretty much a plug and play operation.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Whoa! Twenty to thirty amp draw from a small house bank might work for a short while (four hours), but not much left for anything else. In four hours that 125 AH battery will end up at zero volts; not a good picture. At best that battery is only good for about 60 amps before considered dead. I suppose he could add a few more batteries, but he still needs to keep them up, charge wise.

Unfamiliar with the Mabru product line and reputation. Perhaps others have some experience and can weigh in. The DC unit seems to have potential for the OP; certainly worth looking into. Still needs a solution to keep his house bank up, voltage wise.

It seems the OP already has an AC, just what kind remains unknown here. His dilemma centers around how to keep it and all his other electrical needs operating while on the hook, a puzzle for sure.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I am thinking finding space for a couple of batteries could be easier than finding a space for a generator and fuel.

Mabru sells a military grade lithium iron phosphate 12V/125AH battery for $1500, 12V/250 AH for $2500. A 12,000 BTH 12VDC unit for $5000.

I bet that would be a lot less noise when you are trying to get some shut eye.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
AC on your boat is very complex.

1) Shore power and/or generator
2) Shore power failure
3) Your ICG/Battery Charger controls
4) 120VC Circuits
5) Common Ground with DC
6) Controls on your generator
7) AC Panel Breakers [my H430 has two]
8) generator Engine status
9) Fuel system.
10) Available space

Jim...

PS: Find a Marine Installer of Generators.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't think you have the room to install a generator. You could consider a gasoline powered portable generator. A Honda 2200i may be able to run a 13K BTU unit and perhaps a 16K unit with the installation of a soft start capacitor. The kicker is this Generator would be working very close to its maximum capacity resulting in wear, poor fuel consumption and noise. The Honda 3000i which would work is really big and heavy to handle and does not have the weather proofing of the 2200. The only alternative that I see would be to use Two 2200i connected in tandem to put out 4400 Watts rated at 30Amps. A cheap alternative which many use is to purchase a 5-6K window air conditioner and seat it in the companionway and run it with a single regular Honda 2000i. A benefit is that when hooked to shorepower you can run both units and be surprised how fast and how cool the boat can get.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My Hunter 326 has an Elemax SHX2000 (2KW) Genset running my 12,000BTU Cruisair Aircon for several years. Genset sits at bow deck anchor locker so that wifey has a quiet night sleep in rear berth. I recently got a new Honda EU22i (2.2KW) Genset to replace the Elemax on assumption the Elemax was failing which it wasn't :banghead:
The Honda EU22i is stored under the nav-table when not in use. It takes up lesser room compared to the Elemax :thumbup:

My friend's Hunter 33 uses a Honda EU20i (2KW) for his 16,000BTU Cruisair Aircon. Works beautifully.

Ken Y

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
On my H31, I have a Honda 2200 running my 16k btu AC with a soft start installed. Tried same on friends H31 AC of similar size without the soft start and AC wouldn’t run. Store it in a cradle on deck mid ship when underway

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I have a Honda 2200i and a soft start on my 16k btu AC unit. I use it (and bring it) only very rarely, and then I have it aft in the cockpit with the seat lowered and the exhaust blowing out over the stern, downwind. I have Carbon Monoxide detectors throughout the boat, and test them/replace them regularly. None have ever alarmed with the Honda running on deck and the boat closed up. It can be finicky to start the AC unit, but eventually works. It will run all night on a 5 gal tank with fuel to spare, but NOT on Eco mode. I've considered converting it to propane, to keep gasoline off the boat, but the efficiency isn't any better, and getting propane refills at fuel docks is almost impossible - whereas gasoline is readily available.

But I've found that there are two issues that give me pause to bring the generator and use it - even though our Chesapeake summers can be exhaustingly humid and hot - even in the evenings:

1. Storing gasoline/gasoline filled generator. There's nowhere below deck to safely store either the external tank, or the generator with fuel in it. Lots of people do put the generators below - one poster mentioned under the nav table. Your boat your choices skipper, but there's gasoline in that generator and a risk of leaks and explosion. On my boat the battery switch is under the nav table, as is the shore charger, and I'm concerned about fuel vapor and a spark. I just got the generator back from a Honda recall that supposedly fixed a potential fuel line leak at the fuel valve, so the potential is real - not just me being over cautious. If your boat burned to the waterline, and the investigation showed gasoline or a gasoline generator stored below decks was responsible, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that insurance may have a big out when deciding whether to pay the claim. I don't know that for a fact, but I do know insurance companies. I have stored the Honda in the aft locker on deck, but it is not vented nor is it really separate from the interior of the boat in any vapor or waterproof sense, so I've taken to storing it on deck. The 5 gal tank fits nicely and securely under the helm seat on deck. Still, I worry about corrosion on the Honda being stored outside around brackish/salt water. Another recall for these generators was because if they're around salt water they can corrode, then smoke and catch fire. If you're using your Honda generator like we're talking about PLEASE make sure you've gotten it in for BOTH of these recalls, if its affected. And bear in mind, for many reasons, Honda does not officially condone these generators for marine use - and the recalls demonstrate why.

2. Noise - in two parts. My boat is 36' long, with cabins fore and aft. If I run the generator on the aft deck it really transmits significant noise and vibration through the boat such that sleeping with it running is a mixed blessing - the AC runs nicely, but its loud enough to make sleeping through it difficult. No way my wife could do it. I can manage it, but its an issue. Its much more of an issue in the aft cabin though. In the forward cabin I can barely hear it, so that's my preferred place to sleep if its running. But the other part of the noise problem is for everyone else in the anchorage. Yup, I get it, those little Hondas are about as quiet as generators get. But its not quiet enough to keep from bothering your neighbors, who may be sleeping with their screen-covered hatches open, hoping for a quiet night on the water. I've ONLY used it when I'm alone in an anchorage. I would be peeved if the guy next to me ran the thing while I was trying to sleep with the hatches open. I've read about some extreme efforts to quiet them - put them in a dinghy with an insulated housing, etc., but that just seems a ridiculous amount of effort.

For the most part if I'm out in the hottest part of the summer overnight, and it seems like sleeping will be awful, I just get a slip and eat the cost. Especially if the wife is with me. I've tried everything else - hatch scoops, fans, sleeping on deck (mosquitos), etc. Those definitely help in some circumstances - not so much in others. Some nights you just have to have AC. I have looked into a small, permanently installed generator to run my AC, but for the $15,000=$20,000 it would cost new and to install it, I can book a LOT of nights in marinas and come out WAY ahead. I might think differently if I was cruising full time, but for mostly weekend fun with a few longer trips thrown in, it doesn't make fiscal sense for me.

Your sailing situation may differ, and I wouldn't seek to impose my circumstances and solution on anyone else, but that's how I thought through and experimented with this problem over time.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I think tfox2069 has written the best article yet on the realities of a gas generator on a boat. I never thought of the insurance angle, but as the Honda manual states,

• Operate the generator at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from buildings

and other equipment.
So with that requirement being impossible on a boat , I bet boat insurance would not cover any claim. I am amazed in our age of liability lawsuits that the Honda manual does not say anything specific about generator use on a boat. The manual states never to use the generator indoors, but no mention of use on a boat which everyone knows happens all the time.

Oct 25, 2019
Hunter 36 Pittsburgh
What sort of generator do I need to run my AC and other equipment on my Hunter 326? Is it practical? Where do you place it?
Much good advice. From experience, I gave up idea of retrofitting my 36 Hunter with Genset to run AC unit when on the hook in Summer because of 20-25K quote decided to upsize to 41 Hunter AC with Genset already fitted.
If main generator use would be for AC, I concur with the others to use Honda 2200i. Keep it simple. Just make sure the draw from AC is no more than 75% of 2200watts.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have a 2300w portable gasoline generator that powers a 16KBTU A/C and other A/C loads including 50amp battery charger just fine. It's a Honda EU2200 clone. I chose it for the L5-30 connector on the panel that shore power cables plug directly to without an adapter. Paid $400 on Amazon. A new marine 3.5-4KW genset could run you $20K or more installed.

Agree with all of the statements about caution storing gasoline on the boat. I also had a WhisperGen 3500 Kw genset installed in the salon when I first bought the boat, a 2006 Hunter 38. It had it's own issues. Sound and vibration where the main downside. Even with extensive sound insolation effort, it was loud and noticable. It required a hull penetration for cooling water. Also a water lift muffler and penetration for exhaust gas and cooling water discharge. This particular genset leaked diesel, which smelled up the cabin and permeated everything on the boat. Fabric and plastics really soaked up the smell. Yuk. It could have been addressed switching out fuel lines, etc. but was going to take a lot of work. You still will have some spills when doing maintenance. It also weighed about 300 lbs and was installed in a bench forward of the galley sink with very limited access.

I opted to remove it as I considered it a bigger headache than the benefit it gave me. The portable fills the need and I intend to add more solar so that I don't need to rely on the genset to keep the batteries topped up.

I hang the portable generator from a davit when in operation and steady it with lines to opposite cleats. This isolates the generator from vibrating on the deck and transmitting that sound to the cabin. It works in all but the most rolling anchorages.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I have a 2300w portable gasoline generator that powers a 16KBTU A/C and other A/C loads...
Very interesting approach to insulating the boat from portable generator vibration and noise - haven't seen that before. If you could post a photo there might be bonus points in it for you ;).

Also very interested in hearing about your experience with the WhisperGen 3500. That is exactly the generator I considered getting installed in my H36 in the port cockpit locker, where Hunter made room for a Panda install by dealers (a few folks that frequent these discussions have them on their 36-38 foot Hunters). Curious why you chose to install yours in the salon? The WhisperGen is supposed to be a more "advanced" generation of marine generators, and while certainly gaining no advantage in price over its competitors, it seemed to have some advantages in noise and efficiency. Having found virtually no one who had them installed or even tested independently I have only the manufacturer's literature to go on. I may reach out to you separately to discuss your experience.

Jul 2, 2013
Hunter 36 Niceville
I am new to this forum, but i researched this topic a bit
Not exactly the same situation but my Hunter 36 has a 16 k BTU system and some nights here in the Florida summers you just have to have AC while anchored
Installed a 600 Ah 12 V LiFePO4 battery
It fits nicely where my group D batteries were(2)
Had to upgrade the alternator to a larger unit that can charge faster than the original, Balmar XT
With that , the AC runs 4-6 hours which is plenty
If Li battery is under 20% it shuts off automatically and so does the AC
With 20% the engine starts in the AM no problem and it does have no impact on the life of a Li battery, much different from other batteries
System so far has been tested one season
I would not have gasoline on my boat
Noise from a generator is too much
Do not need more thru hulls
Do not need to maintain 2 engines
Worked as expected on my boat, used space in lazarette intended for a gen

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I am new to this forum, but i researched this topic a bit
Not exactly the same situation but my Hunter 36 has a 16 k BTU system and some nights here in the Florida summers you just have to have AC while anchored
Installed a 600 Ah 12 V LiFePO4 battery
It fits nicely where my group D batteries were(2)
Had to upgrade the alternator to a larger unit that can charge faster than the original, Balmar XT
With that , the AC runs 4-6 hours which is plenty
If Li battery is under 20% it shuts off automatically and so does the AC
With 20% the engine starts in the AM no problem and it does have no impact on the life of a Li battery, much different from other batteries
System so far has been tested one season
I would not have gasoline on my boat
Noise from a generator is too much
Do not need more thru hulls
Do not need to maintain 2 engines
Worked as expected on my boat, used space in lazarette intended for a gen
That’s impressive that you can run the 16k a/c unit for 4-6 hours. Assume you do that thru a big inverter? Curious to know. I’ve seen folks run a smaller (4k) unit just for the aft cabin off of 12v batteries, but still required a battery upgrade, as you did.