Shore Power Cord Storage

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
I’m looking for a gift. I once saw on a dock, a round yellow shore power cord case. It was from a distance but I believe it was hard plastic, round and looked as if you could pull the shore power cord from either direction to connect to the power on the dock and the roll out what you need to get to your boat connection. It laid flat on the dock and looked as if the cable came out from 2 openings and kept the unused length of cord neatly off the dock.
Does anyone use something as this or know of anything like it.
I really have to get out of the dinghy and go and look at these things that draw my attention.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That would be a “retractable power cord case”.
Found a 10 amp on Amazon.
Cablectric 30 Foot Retractable Extension Cord Reel with Breaker Switch and 3 Power Outlets - 16/3 SJTW Durable Red 16 Gauge

E393A9C2-8A94-40B1-9BD1-DEF4A720129D.jpeg

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
You might be thinking of the CordPro XL. I think it pulls and retracts the amount of cord you need from either point. I’m not sure if it is big enough to handle the thickness of shore power cords, but look into it and it‘s yellow. A friend of mine has something like it, I’ve never paid any attention to it. It works worth checking out.
Hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 340 Narragansett
Just looked at the CordPro. I think that's it! I think that's what I saw. The details says it can hold 50 feet of 30 Amp RV cable. I'm not sure how long their shore power cord is, but even if half of the cord is enclosed it's neater and safer.
Now if I can just get Santa Claus to get it down their chimney next weekend. Fingers crossed.
Thank you. This site is a wealth of information.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It would be a nice way to store your cord if you do not have to run the cord very far.

My discovery on cruising in the Salish Sea, the marina will locate the power terminal at the end of and sometimes just beyond the end of a 50ft cord while your boat is in the slip. Then you are scrambling trying to get all of the cord draped across the deck in just the right way not to fall into the water, but long enough to reach attach to the power. A case or a retracting box would inhibit reaching the goal.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A thoughtful way to store all your lines adds a lot to the efficiency of your boat. My experience with line storage is for "rope" but I think the same ideas could transfer to shore power cord... and the things I have used were originally designed for electric cords.

I make extensive use of these extension cord holder for my dock lines and shorter pieces of anchor rode....
1639858187819.png
... these are less than $3 at Walmart

and I have 100' of anchor rode stored on one of these....

1639858307165.png

If you looped it at the center and started rolling it from the center, you could pay out from both directions as much or as little as you wanted.

You have a bigger boat and might want heftier line so maybe one of these...

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
I'm too late for Xmas, but I also have found this to be a useful and convenient way of storing the short power cord:
Cordpro CP-XL, Heavy Duty Cord and Large Hose Organizer,Yellow,X-Large
1640645445845.png

Sep 26, 2008
Just bought myself one. I'm going to use it for my backyard generators' 30 foot 50 Amp Power Cord.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wonder how it works with an aged shore power cord that is not supple as new anymore?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suspect just fine. Clean it with acetone and it look new then cover the exposed sections with split loom wire cable conduit to protect it from the elements.

Sep 26, 2008
It’s not as tight a wind in the unit as you would think. I just received the one I ordered yesterday and wound my generator cable in it this morning.
As long as your not trying to fit to much cable into it, it should work fine. So unless your Power cable is so stiff it won’t coil up anyway, this should do fine. Try some Dow 303 on the cable to rejuvenate the cable and soften it up a bit.