Heave To Question

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
I recently watched a video about heaving to while single handed. The video demonstrated heaving to as essentially tacking without letting off the jib sheet on the windward side. I realize it is something that I will need to practice on my boat as each vessel is slightly different but my real question is more a clarification.

When I was learning to sail on my experienced friend's sailboat he explained the physics of a monohull sailboat. Essentially that the surface area of the sail diminishes as heel increases. At worst a monohull would round up if heel was excessive enough to pull the rudder out of the water, but it would right itself due to the keel. I distinctly remember him stating that if a head sail was caught during a tack a monohull could potentially capsize as wind could get caught in the headsail rather than passing over it as heel increase.

After watching how to heave to I am now really confused. Should I not be nearly as concerned about my headsail catching on my foredeck? Did I just completely mis-remember/understand what he was saying?

• Helpful
May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Colb
The concept is that the jib/headsail wants to push the bow one way (either port to starboard) and the rudder wants to turn the boat in the opposite direction. Therefore the boat stalls.
It will sail in a scalloping motion until you find the best position for the tiller or wheel to hold it in a hove to position. This could be a few minutes..

RE : I realize it is something that I will need to practice on my boat as each vessel is slightly different
Not only is each boat different, each heaving to will be different because of wind strength, current and wave height/strength.
Generally, it is difficult to heave to with a full genoa/ headsail, so if you have a furler, reef in a few turns. Practice makes perfect!!

RE: I distinctly remember him stating that if a head sail was caught during a tack a monohull could potentially capsize as wind could get caught in the headsail rather than passing over it as heel increase.

The more a boat heels the more wind is spilt from the sails. Even if a foresail was caught up on something (we are talking about a C&C 34 sailboat, not a dinghy) the boat will not capsize.

Capsizing of a full sized sailboat is a catastrophic event that take a lot of energy (like broaching and rolling down a very large wave or losing a keel).

Enjoy your practice, Heaving to is not difficult and add safety and satisfaction to your sense of seamanship.

Gary

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Larry Pardey an his wife Lyn wrote a book on storm tactics using this technique and would seek storms to test his theories. The book is Storm Tactics.

• Helpful
Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
Heaving to is not just a storm tactic, but useful whenever you need/want to take a break. Think of it as putting the boat in park while you go below, sort out some strings, or just watch a pretty sunset.

you can heave to with any sail configuration/ although sheet tension/main trim/tiller position will differ with wind velocity and sail configuration.

The more you practice the better you’ll understand the unique dynamics of your boat/sail configuration. Keep in mind that the underwater configuration of your boat makes a big difference in how your boat heaves to, with fin keel/spade rudder boats much more squirrelly and difficult to get into a good heave to position then longer keel boats.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
First response when someone falls overboard. You will nearly stop very close to the victim who should be able to paddle over to your stern ladder, even if you clonked him in the forehead with your waterlogged throwable.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have heaved-to many hundreds of times in all wind conditions. In fact it is a rare day of sailing that I do not do it at least once. It can be done with whatever sail is appropriate for the conditions, ie, full sail on light days, heavily reefed in strong conditions. The number one reason I heave-to is to use the head. The number two reason is to eat a meal underway without getting bounced around.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
My technique is different from the one shown in the video. From a close hauled course, I tack the boat but do not release the jib OR the main. That way, everything is done by the helm with no other action by anyone. Once the boat is stopped, I can always ease out the main sheet if I need to adjust the angle. As RoyS stated, it is far and away the best first response to an MOB situation and will stop the boat directly upwind of the person in the water with them in your wave shadow and you will still be in throw-bag range.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My technique is different from the one shown in the video. From a close hauled course, I tack the boat but do not release the jib OR the main. That way, everything is done by the helm with no other action by anyone. Once the boat is stopped, I can always ease out the main sheet if I need to adjust the angle. As RoyS stated, it is far and away the best first response to an MOB situation and will stop the boat directly upwind of the person in the water with them in your wave shadow and you will still be in throw-bag range.
Two comments:
Whether you need to release the main to assist stopping the boat may depend on the relative sizes of the main sail and the fore sail. For example, on a Colgate 26, with a large main and a small jib, easing the main greatly assists stopping the boat forward progress when heaving to

As to heaving to as a MOB strategy, that is a useful strategy when sailing upwind, but if you are on a run, with the jib fully eased out, if you head up into a heave to position, you will be downwind of the MOB, plus you cannot get into heave to without fully trimming in the jib. Try this exercise on a windy day and I think it would be an eye-opener.

As an instructor who has taught the figure-8 MOB hundreds of time, and who routinely practiced quick-stop MOBs with a tight race crew, on my personal boat where I sail only with a SO, we regularly practice the reach-to-reach recovery. Reach-to-reach is a procedure that requires no judgement in execution and has the least demand on sailing expertise.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it is far and away the best first response to an MOB situation
As my TV friend Mr Kotter, "Welcome Back!" Colb. Did you ever make the trip to Everett from Blaine?

Handling a MOB situation will require boat handling skills dependent on the situation. It is beyond the scope of a discussion on the Hove-To skill.

Heaving-to is a great tool to have in your sailing skills tool box.
I think of it as putting the boat in a stall and sliding sideways slowly.
5E51747D-214F-48B9-B351-88A5D3319F10.png
Here is the configuration of the sails and rudder. The forces involved are:
  1. the wind on the foresail trying to push the bow down to lee, (to the right in the image)
  2. the wind in the main trying to push the stern to lee and also tying to move the boat forward
  3. the rudder trying to turn the boat into the wind.
That is the set up. You work with the three forces to balance the boats movement in a stalled position. Going what feels like no where.
But that is only what it feels like. Actually the boat slides in the water down the wind direction. Think of it like a car on a slippery boat ramp. The breaks are all on, the wheels are spinning and the car is slowly sliding down the ramp towards the water.

Your concern of "flipping the boat over" are relevant in a small unstable boat. In your big keel boat it is highly unlikely.
Unless you are going out in winds exceeding 60 mph and waves the size of a 2 story house, then yes it is possible. That would be a time when you might want to have more skills than hove-to.

YES.... Go out and practice the set up and the skill. You will know you have mastered the skill of balancing the 3 primary forces when you see the boat wake moving up wind as you slide down wind. It is a great skill to know and you will find a variety of times when you will use it, if for no other than a few moments to catch your breath during a challenging passage.

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
Hi Colb
The concept is that the jib/headsail wants to push the bow one way (either port to starboard) and the rudder wants to turn the boat in the opposite direction. Therefore the boat stalls.
It will sail in a scalloping motion until you find the best position for the tiller or wheel to hold it in a hove to position. This could be a few minutes..

RE : I realize it is something that I will need to practice on my boat as each vessel is slightly different
Not only is each boat different, each heaving to will be different because of wind strength, current and wave height/strength.
Generally, it is difficult to heave to with a full genoa/ headsail, so if you have a furler, reef in a few turns. Practice makes perfect!!

RE: I distinctly remember him stating that if a head sail was caught during a tack a monohull could potentially capsize as wind could get caught in the headsail rather than passing over it as heel increase.

The more a boat heals the more wind is spilt from the sails. Even if a foresail was caught up on something (we are talking about a C&C 34 sailboat, not a dinghy) the boat will not capsize.

Capsizing of a full sized sailboat is a catastrophic event that take a lot of energy (like broaching and rolling down a very large wave or losing a keel).

Enjoy your practice, Heaving to is not difficult and add safety and satisfaction to your sense of seamanship.

Gary
Thanks so much! This will make things a lot less stressful! And thanks for the tip about reefing in the head sail.

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
First response when someone falls overboard. You will nearly stop very close to the victim who should be able to paddle over to your stern ladder, even if you clonked him in the forehead with your waterlogged throwable.
This is the main reason I was watching the video. My normal crew consists of 2 kiddos under 5 and my wife who is not currently very experienced. If the worst happens and I take a spill it would be great if she could get the boat stopped quickly.

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
This is the technique that caused my question. It seems very simple! Here is the video I was watching

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
As my TV friend Mr Kotter, "Welcome Back!" Colb. Did you ever make the trip to Everett from Blaine?

Handling a MOB situation will require boat handling skills dependent on the situation. It is beyond the scope of a discussion on the Hove-To skill.

Heaving-to is a great tool to have in your sailing skills tool box.
I think of it as putting the boat in a stall and sliding sideways slowly.
View attachment 201029
Here is the configuration of the sails and rudder. The forces involved are:
  1. the wind on the foresail trying to push the bow down to lee, (to the right in the image)
  2. the wind in the main trying to push the stern to lee and also tying to move the boat forward
  3. the rudder trying to turn the boat into the wind.
That is the set up. You work with the three forces to balance the boats movement in a stalled position. Going what feels like no where.
But that is only what it feels like. Actually the boat slides in the water down the wind direction. Think of it like a car on a slippery boat ramp. The breaks are all on, the wheels are spinning and the car is slowly sliding down the ramp towards the water.

Your concern of "flipping the boat over" are relevant in a small unstable boat. In your big keel boat it is highly unlikely.
Unless you are going out in winds exceeding 60 mph and waves the size of a 2 story house, then yes it is possible. That would be a time when you might want to have more skills than hove-to.

YES.... Go out and practice the set up and the skill. You will know you have mastered the skill of balancing the 3 primary forces when you see the boat wake moving up wind as you slide down wind. It is a great skill to know and you will find a variety of times when you will use it, if for no other than a few moments to catch your breath during a challenging passage.
We are still on the waitlist for Everett. I am hoping we get the call in a month or so, that way I will have better daylight to work with. The more I think about my friends comments about a stuck headsail the more I think he was just encouraging effecient tacking! ha

I will certainly be practicing this!

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
This is the main reason I was watching the video. My normal crew consists of 2 kiddos under 5 and my wife who is not currently very experienced. If the worst happens and I take a spill it would be great if she could get the boat stopped quickly.
Then don't rely on heaving to as a single solution. If heaving to is your MOB plan, next time you are out sailing, go on a run, toss a cushion and try heaving to. Mostly likely there'll be general confusion from a flogging headsail, and loss of control of the boat, as the cushion disappears to windward. In my opinion, better to say : head up, furl the jib, pull in any dingy, and then start the engine, at least its a consistent, do-able procedure, as long as you have a reliable inboard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice selection of a video instructor. He is from the Pacific NW which should help you with your experiences here in the PacificNW.

A video is a great tool to get your head around the task. Next is to take the boat out and experience the skill.

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
Then don't rely on heaving to as a single solution. If heaving to is your MOB plan, next time you are out sailing, go on a run, toss a cushion and try heaving to. Mostly likely there'll be general confusion from a flogging headsail, and loss of control of the boat, as the cushion disappears to windward. In my opinion, better to say : head up, furl the jib, pull in any dingy, and then start the engine, at least its a consistent, do-able procedure, as long as you have a reliable inboard.
Def won't be my single solution for MOB, but a simple and repeatable skill she(and I) can perform when we need to take a moment to figure things out.