Locate Battery Charger

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
I have a Hunter Legend 35.5 1993. The Battery Charger is not working. I found where it is located. I can see the forward portion of the charger. I don't know how to look at the other side which I believe has the input 110 wire. Can some one tell m e how to check it out or replace it. It is located behind the wall in the rear bedroom.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I think you win the prize for the oldest charger. I wouldn’t bother trying to fix it if its the original single stage resonant charger type. Your batteries will thank you.

• Helpful
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Ditto what Don says, charger technology has improved dramatically in the past 25-30 years. Just rip that one out and replace it with a new smart one. It will recharge faster and be more gentle on the batteries extending their useful life ($).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Chief on what appears to be a new boat to you.

I am with Don and Benny. Give a call to the maintenance and have them bring up a replacement charger that works....

Or... I would assess the battery banks you have, identifying the number of Amp Hours and select a charger that will provide, at the minimum 10% of the battery banks total Amp Hours as a charge.
Our friend, MaineSail posts on his website:
How Do I Size A Charger?
This is a decision that is entirely up to the user, with some caveats. The general consensus, & industry recommendation, is to size a hard wired charger for a minimum of 10% of the banks rated Ah capacity, for flooded deep cycle batteries. A 400Ah battery bank, sized at 10%, would get a 40A charger. Sizing at 10% of Ah capacity of course assumes you have the time needed to charge at 10% of Ah capacity and no other loads while charging. Sizing on the larger side, for faster charging, should take into account the battery type you are charging eg: GEL, AGM or Flooded.​

As Benny says you will save $$ in battery replacement with a new charger.