Modifying the Galley Sink Drain Pipe - 41DS

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
The plumbing below the galley sinks on our 41DS seems bizarre to me (see the attached photo). I'm thinking about flipping it end-for-end and the putting a short straight tail from the tee into the corrugated drain hose where the connection would be vertical. It would seem to me that this would promote better drainage while also making access to the valve manifold on the back wall somewhat easier.

I've confirmed that the nut for a standard 1-1/2" sink tailpiece will mate correctly with the threads on the tee. The only possible problem that I can see is that the existing pipe is 40mm O.D. which is about 0.075" larger than the O.D. of standard 1-1/2" drain pipe. If I can't get the corrugated hose to clamp to the 1-1/2" tailpiece I may have to improvise a bit.

I'm interested in thoughts on this, pro or con.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Had to laugh that is exactly what mine looks like now. So far it has been OK. The aft bathroom sink drain has been a problem for me.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
'Twould have made a lot more sense just to run both drain lines down to a wye that connects 'em to a single line to the thru-hull. Corrugated hose isn't a great idea either because food particles, grease etc that can build up in the corrugations, resulting in a stinky hose.

That's my $.02 worth anyway...your mileage may vary.

--Peggie

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
In additiion to catching particles, that hose goes to a thruhull probably below the waterline. It also looks like that thruhull may be hard to reach and difficult to open and close as needed. I hope you close it when you leave the boat. In keeping with a lot of discussion before, that does not look like the kind of hose you would really want to use for that application below the waterline. See Rich Stidger's discussion on his problem with this kind of hose. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would reverse the two sides, and that allows you to remove the 2nd horizontal pipe and go straight down the drain from the right sink bowl. As it is set up now, the right bowl has to make a big S to the drain.

I just replaced the hoses under my galley sink (it didn’t have hard pipe), but you can see how much simpler my drain path is…

1410E4F1-D11F-4B1B-87C6-3D55C66B949F.jpeg

Greg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Better looking hose, but does are the junctions clamped below the waterline? It looks like they may be and if so should they be be double clamped with the un-perforated clamps like you use on other hoses below the waterline? Its no different from a catastrophic flooding standpoint than the engine raw water supply or other below the waterline clamped fittings especially if you don't close the thruhull. Again just my 2 cents, you mileage may vary.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes flip them and change the hose to wire enforced. If the hose does not mate well you can add a short piece similar to the way that it is now.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Ours looks exactly the same, must be the same pseudo plumber who did the work. I have read that that hosing is not rated for below waterline applications and there have been a few stories that I have read where the hose cracked right at the through hull nipple.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
The attached photo shows the result of swapping the pipe end-for-end and adding a 1-1/2" straight tail. The flexible hose fit very tightly on the 1-1/2" pipe so I think it's going to work fine.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
The attached photo shows the result of swapping the pipe end-for-end and adding a 1-1/2" straight tail. The flexible hose fit very tightly on the 1-1/2" pipe so I think it's going to work fine.

Looks much more logical. I would swap out the hose sooner than later. My '05 H33, the hose was cracking right at the thru-hull.