Access to manual bilge pump on 2004 Hunter 36?

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Hello,

I'd like to access the manual bilge pump to either repair or replace it. Do I need to remove the interior of the port corner cockpit locker (the one that is like the propane locker but on the opposite side) to get access?

Thanks,
Andy

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Where do you put the handle for pumping from the cockpit. That will give you the best idea of where to look for the pump on the inside.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Yes - the handle is inserted on the outside of the locker I mention. The question is whether access is by removing the interior of the locker or some other way. There is no obvious (to me) access, so I'd guess it was from the locker, but I'm hoping to get some help before starting down the wrong path.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Did you ever find access? My thought was to put a large access port in that locker. The type that covers the rudder post on the cockpit sole.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
I have not been able to find access. It's possible that it could come out through the front after removing the cover but seems unlikely. An access port might work if there was enough room to remove and attach the hoses. I guess you'd need to make some measurements to see how much space the new pump needed.

May 31, 2004
Hunter 36 La Paz, BCS, Mexico
The manual bilge pump is accessed through the port locker on the swim step. It is a mighty tight fit and it does take two people to remove it.