seacock corrosion

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When is the next haul out?

The problem with the corrosion is only one problem. The bigger concern is the through hull, it is quite vulnerable to breaking off. The seacock should have flanged base that is secured to the hull. Like the one below from Groco. It would be quite easy to break or crack the through hull fitting especially if it is compromised with any kind of corrosion.

Aug 2, 2021
Bavaria 32 Belem
When is the next haul out?

The problem with the corrosion is only one problem. The bigger concern is the through hull, it is quite vulnerable to breaking off. The seacock should have flanged base that is secured to the hull. Like the one below from Groco. It would be quite easy to break or crack the through hull fitting especially if it is compromised with any kind of corrosion.

thank you for the answer
It is scheduled for January or February.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave's statements above are of great help.

The issue is, most times you do may not see all of the problem.
Here are pictures of my valve. I had a bad feeling. The boat is mature. No history as to how old the through hull was. It functioned without strain. I just felt the need to replace it.

One week before I scheduled the haul out and replacement work.
1637196842155.jpeg

This happened when I started to remove the through hull
1637196911912.jpeg

It broke apart in my hand. Galvanic Corrosion on the inside of the valve.

• Wow

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Not for nothing, but the hose on that valve is a sanitation hose, and the valve is open.:yikes: If the boat is on the water, that is a hefty fine in most places. If not, eww!