Universal M 25 fuel lines

Dec 1, 2009
Cape Dory 25 Brooklyn, NY
I have a universal M 25. For a long time I have had a problem starting the engine when it is cold. Are usually solve this problem by believing the fuel line. I have an electric fuel pump I turn on the engine and then bleed from the main bleed nut. Most of the time the engine starts after I do this. Today I had to bleed the fuel line three times and then it started. This makes me wonder if I need to change the fuel lines completely. Does anybody encountered the same problems and what is the fix? Thank you

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2016
Catalina 30 Seattle
cdsailor. You probably have an air leak in your fuel lines. Inspect and tighten all hose clamps from the fuel tank to the injector pump. Any lose connections will draw air into the line causing repeated air bubbles like what you are encountering. This is a good annual maintenance step.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
My perkins always started in an instant. I was surprised one day when it took a few seconds, then longer and longer. I smelled a bit diesel in the cabin. It turned out one of the fuel line fittings had vibrated loose. Not much of a leak, just a couple of drops but enough to let air into the system. Check the fuel system (lines and filters) for leaks

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Fuel lines should be replaced every ten years, how old are yours? I learned this the hard way when one cracked and leaked fuel. Motor still ran but had fuel in the bilge. Fuel line can be purchased at auto stores, don't need to pay marine store mark ups, Autozone, Napa etc. Beyond cracking, the interior can deteriorate and cause clogging from debris.