Winter Season & Project Plans

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
So the off season for many of us is here, :wahwah: and we see our vessels sitting in cradles or on stands, our winter cover framing has been erected and our covers are now draped over the entire boat. There she sits in all her glory, a princess in disguise, a memory wrapped in canvas or plastic, begging for the return of long warm days. With all that behind us what are your plans for the off season, any projects lined up, repairs to make, modifications to apply to your special princess?

I for one have a few of my own:
1. Install a ACR as a replacement for the Cole Hershey (I think thats the name) relay, which will allow me to join the house and start battery if needed.
2. Do an equilization of the house batteries, after they are inspected for electrolite levels.
3. Install new waste line from the main head to the waste tank
4. Disconnect the forward head can't makeup my mind to either replace the hose or just completely delete the whole head, could never understand how a second head on a boat becomes a selling point? If I do remove the head I will likely keep the shower arrangement as well as install a hanger rod allowing for use as a wet locker.
5. Disconnect the macerator pump and its hosing completely back to the holding tank. (can't use a macerator in the Great Lakes) This will ensure that if inspected, especially in Canadian waters there will be no doubt as to the functionality of the system.
6. With the macerator gone I now have an open thru hull which I plan on repurposing for a wash down pump possibly with a connection in the anchor locker.

If I get even half of these done during the cold winter months I will feel I have accomplished much and hold my chin up high!

How about you, what are your plans for the off months, for those of us who aren't fortunate enough to live where warmth is taken for granted and not a commodity?

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Timing belt change on my aux Volvo MD22L-B.
Install electronic thermostats for my AB refrigerator and freezer.
Repair my LCD hour meter once and for all.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I usually shrinkwrap but not this year. Some interior projects this winter, just a tarp over the cabin this year.
So the off season for many of us is here, :wahwah: and we see our vessels sitting in cradles or on stands, our winter cover framing has been erected and our covers are now draped over the entire boat. There she sits in all her glory, a princess in disguise, a memory wrapped in canvas or plastic, begging for the return of long warm days. With all that behind us what are your plans for the off season, any projects lined up, repairs to make, modifications to apply to your special princess?

I for one have a few of my own:
1. Install a ACR as a replacement for the Cole Hershey (I think thats the name) relay, which will allow me to join the house and start battery if needed.
2. Do an equilization of the house batteries, after they are inspected for electrolite levels.
3. Install new waste line from the main head to the waste tank
4. Disconnect the forward head can't makeup my mind to either replace the hose or just completely delete the whole head, could never understand how a second head on a boat becomes a selling point? If I do remove the head I will likely keep the shower arrangement as well as install a hanger rod allowing for use as a wet locker.
5. Disconnect the macerator pump and its hosing completely back to the holding tank. (can't use a macerator in the Great Lakes) This will ensure that if inspected, especially in Canadian waters there will be no doubt as to the functionality of the system.
6. With the macerator gone I now have an open thru hull which I plan on repurposing for a wash down pump possibly with a connection in the anchor locker.

If I get even half of these done during the cold winter months I will feel I have accomplished much and hold my chin up high!

How about you, what are your plans for the off months, for those of us who aren't fortunate enough to live where warmth is taken for granted and not a commodity?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a good list of things to work on over the winter lay-up:

1) new radio console for VHF, Sirius receiver, stereo and new Renogy battery monitor (just about done…need to take to boat and install).
EE7B7AE1-A3F6-45E8-9AE6-FAF5AD2E667A.jpeg

2) replace galley sink drain hose…and now rebed thru-hull now that I loosened it up getting the hose off…
F90AB545-B2E6-4B79-8DE1-9E8A226C467D.png. BE4530B1-C363-4AC1-8C93-E7A3428EC887.jpeg
Hoses are replaced, but still need to rebed the thru-hull

3) refill binnacle compass (and correct an error I made last time I did it).
4565675A-D813-40F3-8D4B-3A322F5F54AE.jpeg
Somehow when I did this the last time, the markers were in front of the compass, instead of in the back…fixed now.

4) upgrade primary winches and move old primaries to cabin top.
418D1CF4-0EC8-49B4-BFE5-CFC8F799A3A6.jpeg
These old Barlow 27’s were salvaged from a boat being cut up… and I will replace my single-speed cabin topmwinches with the Barlow 23 2-speeds that were the primaries.

5) remove STB water tank, simplify plumbing (eliminate manifold and plumbing for second tank), clean and paint space. Consider space for A/C, extra batteries (starting battery or 2 more 6V GC batteries for second or larger house bank).
F51A8CF0-0C0A-449F-87C4-0C6B4E137AAC.jpeg
6) remove stuffing box and check shaft for wear…if Ok, install Volvo dripless stuffing box.
Not started

7) Relocate engine control panel in cockpit…move fuel and engine hour gauges from the lazzarette to the panel, remove old LPG fitting for grill.
Not started

Oh, and just for fun, I tried to make a sewing palm…out of a quarter and some old sail cloth..
0249F18B-0807-41ED-968A-D1C96E8B89FD.jpeg

Will head to Hawaii for a few weeks in Jan/Feb when I cannot take the cold dark winter anymore;-)

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A quick update…

The radio console is complete and crossed off the list.

489128EE-4335-4B90-B96D-591A5C28A501.jpeg

Started work on the removing the stuffing box tonight, but need some tools to press the coupling off the shaft.

Greg

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
While you are at it, could someone please pull the drain plug for Florida’s east coast? My winter projects are o hold while I wait to get under some fixed bridges.