Removing furling drum on Legend 40.5

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
Hey all,
I'm up here living and working on the boat temporarily. I am planning on replacing the standing rigging in stages, starting with the backstay bridle which has a cracked sta-lok. My question though is - how do you remove the furling drum to access the forestay? That's the only rigging I haven't been able to put eyes onto yet.

Thank you for any help!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest downloading the jib roller furler installation manual. In the meantime, this article Roller reefing | The Unified Corribee Website and the section 4 in the furler manual for my sailboat attached might help describe how to remove it. Suggest taking photos of dissembly each step and label the parts as you remove them as a re-assembly aid.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
My goal here is to inspect the forestay. I'm assuming I take off the sail, and then can raise the furling drum to take a look? Or do I have to detach the entire forestay and slide the furling pipe off the forestay? The drum is beneath the deck

Realized I didn't get the make, will look for that shortly

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
If the design is similar to mine you remove some screws that secure the tack ring (12) to the luft extension. Quite a bit of dissembly required.

1635782867360.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Baycloud, to do a proper inspection of the forestay you will want to remove the mast from the boat. Layout the mast and all rigging on mast stands, then inspect all of the rigging including the forestay under the furler. Who knows what stresses have been applied to the boats rigging?

At one time you sailed a 23 O'Day in SF Bay with access to the ocean. Now you are in CA (Canada or California?) Where do you plan to sail?

If you see this boat taking you on passages to exotic places then do the thing right and inspect/replace/refit the mast so that you will not be worried "will the mast still be standing because I did not change the forestay, after this squall passes through?"

There is no indication of the rigging or boat age in your posted query. Rigging is not a life long item on a boat. It ages and in some cases the chafe or hard use is not visible without a thorough inspection by a person who knows what to look for in bad rigging.

I would encourage you to work the problem completely not piece meal. The mast and rigging are a sailboat essential.

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
Baycloud, to do a proper inspection of the forestay you will want to remove the mast from the boat. Layout the mast and all rigging on mast stands, then inspect all of the rigging including the forestay under the furler. Who knows what stresses have been applied to the boats rigging?

At one time you sailed a 23 O'Day in SF Bay with access to the ocean. Now you are in CA (Canada or California?) Where do you plan to sail?

If you see this boat taking you on passages to exotic places then do the thing right and inspect/replace/refit the mast so that you will not be worried "will the mast still be standing because I did not change the forestay, after this squall passes through?"

There is no indication of the rigging or boat age in your posted query. Rigging is not a life long item on a boat. It ages and in some cases the chafe or hard use is not visible without a thorough inspection by a person who knows what to look for in bad rigging.

I would encourage you to work the problem completely not piece meal. The mast and rigging are a sailboat essential.
Agree - boat is in Oregon, wanting to do coastal sailing. I'm in California, so I have chunks of about a week at a time with about 4-5 days of the available time to work on the boat through the winter. At the minimum I want to get everything inspected. I don't want to take the mast down until I learn more about the boat so I'll know exactly what I want to do w/ it with the mast down.

Oct 22, 2014
That makes a lot of sense. I some how got in my head that you were going to remove and inspect the decide to reinstall or replace each of the shrouds/stay. This felt like an opportunity for disaster to happen when you least expected it.

Where in Oregon?

Feb 21, 2013
baycloud.........where in Richmond, CA is your sailboat? I am in Boardwalk Port Marina (formerly Brickyeard Cove) in Point Richmond and would be happy to look it over if you need help.

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
That makes a lot of sense. I some how got in my head that you were going to remove and inspect the decide to reinstall or replace each of the shrouds/stay. This felt like an opportunity for disaster to happen when you least expected it.

Where in Oregon?
Well, I may replace it all myself, but I'm trying to figure out when and how.

I just bought the boat near Portland, but live in the bay

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
baycloud.........where in Richmond, CA is your sailboat? I am in Boardwalk Port Marina (formerly Brickyeard Cove) in Point Richmond and would be happy to look it over if you need help.
My smaller boat is at Marina Bay, but I'm undecided if I'll wait and head north or south in the spring. It'll end up in Richmond at some point

Oct 22, 2014
I live near Portland. If your coming up after the 16th of NOV let me know. Perhaps we can look at the boat and tell each other stories. :beer:

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
I live near Portland. If your coming up after the 16th of NOV let me know. Perhaps we can look at the boat and tell each other stories. :beer:
Thank you! I may take you up on that. I'll be heading back sometime in november. Gonna be cold :)

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thank you! I may take you up on that. I'll be heading back sometime in november. Gonna be cold :)
Having owned a 40,5, I can advise as follows:
The only way to properly service the furler is to either pull the forestay, or the rig.
This is because the furler is sub deck
There are advantages of sub deck furriers. Servicability isn’t one of them
Pulling the forestay isn’t simple, as the mast is deck stepped, and quite tall. By the time you mess around with all of the difficulties of supporting the rig, etc, you’re better off to just pull it.
On my 49, I just pulled the rig, having not done so since purchase. I’m in fresh water, but this would be suicidal in salt water. On initial inspection, there were items that were well overdue for maintenance
Plus, this will give you a chance to deal with lighting and wiring.
the 40.5 needs to have the wiring feed through perfect, or your headliner will lead quite a bit.

so, that’s my suggestion after owing the identical boat for many years

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
Having owned a 40,5, I can advise as follows:
The only way to properly service the furler is to either pull the forestay, or the rig.
This is because the furler is sub deck
There are advantages of sub deck furriers. Servicability isn’t one of them
Pulling the forestay isn’t simple, as the mast is deck stepped, and quite tall. By the time you mess around with all of the difficulties of supporting the rig, etc, you’re better off to just pull it.
On my 49, I just pulled the rig, having not done so since purchase. I’m in fresh water, but this would be suicidal in salt water. On initial inspection, there were items that were well overdue for maintenance
Plus, this will give you a chance to deal with lighting and wiring.
the 40.5 needs to have the wiring feed through perfect, or your headliner will lead quite a bit.

so, that’s my suggestion after owing the identical boat for many years
Thank you so much!

Question:
I am having leaks that I haven't been able to find but water gathers in the bilge. I couldn't find any obvious wet spots on the sidewalls of the keel stub inside. Where did you find your leaks from the mast coming through?

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
I'm really hoping that the quote for replacing all the standing rigging isn't outrageously expensive. Problem is, since i just bought the boat I don't have a 'list' of mast items to work on while the mast is out (plus the yard doesn't allow me to work on the boat); so the mast being down will not be a good chance for anything else to get done; just an expensive specific repair job.

At the same time; I think i can do 95% of all the other projects needed myself, so I may bite the bullet on this one.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thank you so much!

Question:
I am having leaks that I haven't been able to find but water gathers in the bilge. I couldn't find any obvious wet spots on the sidewalls of the keel stub inside. Where did you find your leaks from the mast coming through?
I believe that the leaks I have in my 40.5 at the mast are due to two locations.
First, water does come down the inside of the mast so it is imperative that the water drains at the base of the mast are kept clean of debris. That is just a 1-2x/year task that take just 5 minutes with the rig up.
Second, when your rig is down and then re-stepped, it is very important to create a drip loop in the bundle of mast wires so that the water does not run into the wire tube. There is a PVC tube that is caulked into the mast step and enters the cabin. The wire bundle passes through that tube. I would recommend replacing that tube with a longer one to further insure that water does not find its way into it. I have pictures of all this if you want to see a preview of what you will find. Just ask and I will find and send/post them.
Third, I believe that water finds it's way from the screws holding the organizer cover on the deck. Those should be sealed very well. You probably need to remove the cover to do a proper job.

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
I believe that the leaks I have in my 40.5 at the mast are due to two locations.
First, water does come down the inside of the mast so it is imperative that the water drains at the base of the mast are kept clean of debris. That is just a 1-2x/year task that take just 5 minutes with the rig up.
Second, when your rig is down and then re-stepped, it is very important to create a drip loop in the bundle of mast wires so that the water does not run into the wire tube. There is a PVC tube that is caulked into the mast step and enters the cabin. The wire bundle passes through that tube. I would recommend replacing that tube with a longer one to further insure that water does not find its way into it. I have pictures of all this if you want to see a preview of what you will find. Just ask and I will find and send/post them.
Third, I believe that water finds it's way from the screws holding the organizer cover on the deck. Those should be sealed very well. You probably need to remove the cover to do a proper job.
Yes, can you please post/dm me that? I am likely going to be taking the mast down soon and want to add this to the list.