Hunter 49 Variprop

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
I need some information about the Variprop feathering prop for my Hunter 49. I have the 110hp Yanmar with the 2.63 reduction gear. Currently running the three blade fixed and I’m tired of sailing slightly slower than other boats of similar size. If I can get half a knot or more, I would be happy.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I need some information about the Variprop feathering prop for my Hunter 49. I have the 110hp Yanmar with the 2.63 reduction gear. Currently running the three blade fixed and I’m tired of sailing slightly slower than other boats of similar size. If I can get half a knot or more, I would be happy.
George, we have a 3 blade Variprop on our H41DS with a 54HP Yanmar. I am very happy with it. No prop walk, great reverse and excellent speed. It will definitely give you the half knot you are looking for.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Currently running the three blade fixed
What type of "Fixed Blade" prop do you have?
I have had 2 different designs.
One was slow the other is not.
C01D7F6F-743C-44A9-81B7-EE8489770367.jpeg2922CDBE-C1D8-486B-9CB7-A30D78BF72B0.jpeg
Both under power and sailing.
It is a all in the design.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A lot of money for a half knot. I really like our three blade fixed. Plenty of speed, highly maneuverable and very smooth. Perhaps a change in pitch might give you that half knot. What is your current speed?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto Terry Cox.............I also like my fixed three blade propeller (photo below) on my Hunter 46 for speed, maneuverability and smoothness and do not see a noticeable impact on sailing speed (in the San Francisco Bay). It is a 18 x 17 RH (per owner's manual) TP-3, which offers offers minimum drag under sail and power under motor.

1635706047789.png

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
Looks like I have a Michigan DJ355. Speed is fine under power. Easy to achieve 8 knots at about 2400 RPM. Under sail we get 8 knots plus in 12-15 knots of wind, but that spinning prop is definitely holding us back, especially in lower wind conditions. It's very large and has wide blades.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Do you tow your dingy behind you, as many do (a drag), or hang it on davits? As with sail sfbay, no noticeable drag from our prop, which I let spin while under sail.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
George, it would be great if you can thoroughly document the difference in speed before and after you change to a variable pitch prop. I have tried to find some definitive, scientifically backed studies but have had no luck. I see manufactures make claims as to the increase in speed using their props, but nothing scientific. I question why this information is not readily available?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
George, it would be great if you can thoroughly document the difference in speed before and after you change to a variable pitch prop. I have tried to find some definitive, scientifically backed studies but have had no luck. I see manufactures make claims as to the increase in speed using their props, but nothing scientific. I question why this information is not readily available?
I replaced a three blade fixed prop with a 3 blade Flex-o-Fold a few years ago. I was able to compare upwind boat speed before and after the change to do a comparison -
1635809102377.jpg

Orange dots are fixed prop, blue dots are folding. Lines are the best-fit through the dots. Below 5 knots wind speed there’s at least half knot boat speed difference (more when it’s calmer and less when it’s windier).

I wouldn’t call this a particularly scientific study - We had more experience handling the boat in the later years with the folder than when we first got the boat with the fixed prop, so that might be some of the speed difference. But the sails were also older then too. Other things like waves and current should, in theory, average out.

Oct 29, 2018
Hunter MH37 Mississauga
I replaced a three blade fixed prop with a 3 blade Flex-o-Fold a few years ago. I was able to compare upwind boat speed before and after the change to do a comparison -
View attachment 199733

Orange dots are fixed prop, blue dots are folding. Lines are the best-fit through the dots. Below 5 knots wind speed there’s at least half knot boat speed difference (more when it’s calmer and less when it’s windier).

I wouldn’t call this a particularly scientific study - We had more experience handling the boat in the later years with the folder than when we first got the boat with the fixed prop, so that might be some of the speed difference. But the sails were also older then too. Other things like waves and current should, in theory, average out.
We too have a Flexofold, 3 blade, and would highly recommend folding over feathering. Performance under sail and power is amazing, zero maintenance other than cleaning and changing zincs, significantly lower cost over feathering and much less chance of fowling under sail catching netting and lines. Performance in reverse is surprising good and for us zero prop walk. Loved dealing direct with manufacturer in Denmark answering all my questions and they shipped and we received in 2 days all included in the advertised price.

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
Got a quote from Flexofold for a 24X15 3 blade. Pretty pricey at $5,500. I would be interested in feedback from other H49 owners on the size and pitch. Maybe someone has the same boat with this prop.

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Hi George, we have a 2010 49 and have crossed to Portugal where we are currently on the hard. we recently removed our Variprop 4 blade and sent to Germany for a service after never being happy with the blade movement. we received an email telling us that our prop hadn't been maintained and rarely seen grease in its 10 years of life, and that it was unsafe to put on a boat. we now have a new one. we had been greasing every year but wear meant that it was just washing out. you must grease them!

• Helpful
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi George, we have a 2010 49 and have crossed to Portugal where we are currently on the hard. we recently removed our Variprop 4 blade and sent to Germany for a service after never being happy with the blade movement. we received an email telling us that our prop hadn't been maintained and rarely seen grease in its 10 years of life, and that it was unsafe to put on a boat. we now have a new one. we had been greasing every year but wear meant that it was just washing out. you must grease them!
I have a 49 with a 4 blade vari prop
My pervious boat was a 40.5 with a 3 blade max prop
After using 2 types of feathering prop, and having (and sailing many) boats with fixed props, I would never own a boat with a fixed prop in the future
The huge issues are manoeuvrability and prop spin.
With a properly sized and pitched feathering prop, there is zero reverse prop walk, versus an manageable amount , especially at low speeds when the rudder is less efficient
The boat will stop from full speed to zero in its own length.
If you want to know the amount of drag a fixed prop has while sailing, throw a bucket off the stern at 3 knots, and try to hold it on a rope.
Prop spin isn’t a good thing to do with your transmission, and it’s stressful on the coupling.
When I bought my 40.5, my dealer insisted that I purchase a feathering prop.
I damned near choked when I saw the cost, and bought it with great hesitation,
I said “I’m not a racer.. Don’t need this”
Then came the day to drive the boat for the very first time.
It took me 5 minutes to understand
When I dropped off the commissioning dealer in a crowded marina, and had full control of the boat, spun it in reverse on a dime… I would have paid every penny all over again.
Even with the bow thruster on my 49, the vari prop is a necessity.
I agree that yearly greasing is imperative.
I have the luxury of fresh water, but in salt it would be destructive not to maintain this.

Yes, a fixed prop is much less expensive. As are non-powered winches. Etc., etc.

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
So even though you had a bad experience originally with the Variprop, you're sticking with it? Did you consider the various folding props? And do you know if my diver can complete the maintenance while the boat is in the water?

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
So even though you had a bad experience originally with the Variprop, you're sticking with it? Did you consider the various folding props? And do you know if my diver can complete the maintenance while the boat is in the water?
my bad experience was caused by lack of simple greasing by old owner that honestly probably didn't grease it in 10 years. the prop was still working fine, sort of. I'm in Portugal and about to take on another passage so it was an expensive but easy change out for me. I don't have time to sort through the pages on whether one will be better than the other. I've had folding props on other boats and had a folder disabled due to kelp wrapping it then gradually tightening and closing blades completely. The guys at Variprop have fitted out quite a few 49s. I like the idea of being able to change the pitch easily and quickly. the new model is also documented to be 12% more efficient than the old GP112.
I'm sure a diver could remove your old prop under water but the Variprop needs to have the special 46mm nut torqued to 390nm with loctite, then lock pins installed and finally the anode. I'm not sure a diver could torque the nut to that number.