Freshwater Sailors

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Is there anyone who used the Sea Hawk VMG bottom paint last season?
It apparently is indicated for direct application over Pettit 23 or Interlux VC-17 copper/teflon based paint.
The idea of not leeching a huge amount of copper contamination into the marina basin is exciting. But I'm wondering about it's performance in preventing algae growth and zebra mussels on the bottom on the boat regardless of racing or cruising.
Would be interested in reviews of those who applied this in spring and their observations at the end of the season haul-out.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Watching with interest…I use VC17 every other year (and touch-up on the off year).

A copper-free alternative would be good….but I do like VC17 for ease of application.

Greg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Not freshwater (brackish) but I once tried Interlux CF (Copper Free) and it was a disaster. I put it on in October and within 9 months I had so much soft growth I could hardly sail. Unless they use a different formula, I wouldn't even try it again and it wasn't cheap. I think it was near $250/gallon at the time. Giant waste.

• Helpful
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Here is a link to a great Total Boat page that explains the different types of bottom paints and how they work.
Which Bottom Paint Should I Use?

It is interesting to note that some paints work best when you use your boat, but not so well sitting at the dock, while others work well at the dock for a limited season.

-Will

Mar 17, 2022
Columbia 29 Marquette
Is there anyone who used the Sea Hawk VMG bottom paint last season?
I've used it. After working at a shipyard where everybody used vc-17 as the standard, I wanted to try something different. Sailed from Just Noth of Chicago up to Marquette on Lake Superior. About 6 weeks of sailing the passage and another 3.5 months moored. When I pulled her out after that 1st season, growth was minimal to none. After the next season (2nd season) being only moored in marina due to new baby it had developed typical green and brown alge especially at waterline, but easily scrubbed off. Had I had a power washer at haul-out I'm confident it would have sprayed right off. Now after a couple years on the hard it's looking thin and powdery-ish at surface. Ill reapply before launch this year.
PRO: It is a very fast paint!, Minimal growth (do to chemicals?)
CON: I have concerns about it being fluorinated which I think it is if memory serves. When it comes to environmental concerns I cant imagine it's much better than copper and probably worse considering the fluorinated additives are a forever chemical like PFAS. They have started banning these chemicals in ski waxes and elsewhere due to the environmental impact. Even tho perfomance is best with this, I may actually go VC-17 after this year to be more environmentally thoughtful.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
. Sailed from Just Noth of Chicago up to Marquette on Lake Superior.
LOL .... and thanks for your observation.
You're obviously my kind of sailor, most ppl would consider North Point or Winthrop Harbor just north of Chi town....Good Job! Sounds like it was a great passage. btw love the area....