New Hunter 41DS Owner

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
Well, we closed last week on a 2007 Hunter 41 DS. We've been exploring all of the nooks an crannies and, now that the weather has turned rainy in the Pacific Northwest, I see there is a bit of water showing up in the bilge near the bilge pump. I'm guessing that water from the anchor chain locker is accumulating in the bilge near the pump. There is not much water - not even enough to activate the float switch - but I would be more comfortable if I knew where the water was was coming from. I suppose that I could put a hose in the chain locker and see if the water makes its way to the bilge pump. What say you more experienced sailors?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Well, we closed last week on a 2007 Hunter 41 DS. We've been exploring all of the nooks an crannies and, now that the weather has turned rainy in the Pacific Northwest, I see there is a bit of water showing up in the bilge near the bilge pump. I'm guessing that water from the anchor chain locker is accumulating in the bilge near the pump. There is not much water - not even enough to activate the float switch - but I would be more comfortable if I knew where the water was was coming from. I suppose that I could put a hose in the chain locker and see if the water makes its way to the bilge pump. What say you more experienced sailors?
Did you taste it to be sure it is not salt water?
Also if you have been running your A/C the condensation line may be running into the bilge which of course would be fresh water.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
dkinzer, whatever the water is it is not from your anchor locker. That drains out to the exterior. Look at the bow for a stainless cap! If it is salt then most likely if is from your shaft seal dripping.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
The boat is inland 50 miles in a river, so no salt water. It has no A/C so that can't be it. The bilge farther back toward the engine seems dry so it seems unlikely that it is a shaft seal. I'll investivate other parts of the bilge look for evidence.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Might be form the shower sump pump box as it should overflow to the bilge if the shower sump pump is not switched on during a shower.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Might be form the shower sump pump box as it should overflow to the bilge if the shower sump pump is not switched on during a shower.
Nope the shower sumps (2) do not overflow to the bilge. Not that!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
The boat is inland 50 miles in a river, so no salt water. It has no A/C so that can't be it. The bilge farther back toward the engine seems dry so it seems unlikely that it is a shaft seal. I'll investivate other parts of the bilge look for evidence.
Look in the aft storage under the swim platforms. The joint between the upper deck and lower hull will seep since it is below the water line at time. Look for black marks there. Is your fresh water pump cycling? Heck the fill line connections at the fresh water tanks. Ours will leak if the tank is overfilled.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Nope the shower sumps (2) do not overflow to the bilge
Are your sure?

Mine appeared to NOT overflow, since no real over flow exits. However it is not a sealed sump box. Mine would trickle via the wiring entry to the pump/float switch.
_____
With the exception of the Diesel areas....

All Weather Deck leaks and Fresh water equipment will drain to the Main Bilge.
________

Did we forget Condensation from Humidity changes?

Jim...

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Are your sure?

Mine appeared to NOT overflow, since no real over flow exits. However it is not a sealed sump box. Mine would trickle via the wiring entry to the pump/float switch.
_____
With the exception of the Diesel areas....

All Weather Deck leaks and Fresh water equipment will drain to the Main Bilge.
________

Did we forget Condensation from Humidity changes?

Jim...
The shower floor is the sump, there is a pump switch for both the main and forward head showers. There are no penetrations other than the drain fitting in the shower sumps.
Carefully inspect the sink drain hoses, thru hulls and as stated the gland packing for the output shaft. We seem to have water occassionally in our bilge have to vacuum it out as it never seems to get to the point of turning on the bilge pump.
AC unit condensate is connected to a venturi, when the AC is running it is pulling any condensate out the cooling water discharge line,

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @dkinzer on your new boat and Welcome to the SBO Forums.

Good to have another PACNW sailor aboard.

Water in the boat is a challenge. While the usual suspects are failing drains or hoses, do not rule out the windows, any on-deck hardware that has bolts or screws penetrating the deck surface, mast openings, etc. Water and that means the drizzle rain we enjoy when it is not wind blown has a way of getting into the boat and driving an owner crazy.

Looking forward to your picture of the boat.

May your search of the leak be short and rewarding.