Worst mistake by a boat idiot

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Texting with a friend tonight, he sent the following:
“You’re going to love this one. Maybe not. A friend at my club asked me to stop by and just give him a checklist of how winterizing his new-to-him Sabre 36. He said there were 3 fresh water tanks which I saw. But there were four valves on the fresh water manifold. So we traced the hose and found it to be plumbed to the holding tank! EWwwww
Worst of all, the manifold was made up by an owner, not original. It was obvious. Somebody went to the trouble of ADDING a fourth valve just to plumb it to the holding tank. Worst boat mistake I‘ve ever seen.”

Anyone seen worse than this?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Sounds like a candidate for the GOBI award ;)
Does anyone have Dave Gibson's GOBI plaque handy?

I'm trying to think of why anyone would possibly think that was a good idea (aside from the obvious disgusting and hazardous mess if someone opened the valve) but I'm just not getting it. I thought my holding tank setup was bad but that is way worse.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
On many RVs there is a hose fitting that goes to the black tank. The idea is to connect water to wash the tank out after emptying it. This is done with non-potable water and a dedicated hose of a different color than your potable water hose. I suspect the PO may have been trying to do the same on his/her boat. Just a poor implementation.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Plumbed to the holding tank. OK. But was the manifold tubing going to the bottom or the TOP of the BW tank?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
the worst mistake is if he selected that holding tank connection on the manifold :poop:

Admiral would not have been too appreciative of brushing her teeth with that mouthful…

Greg

• Ha
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@Ken Cross I thought of the same thing, but this manifold was to the uptake side of the freshwater pump. I didn't find out whether it was connected to the top or bottom of the blackwater tank, but either way it's :poop: in the freshwater lines. I relayed Peggie's instructions on how to shock-treat water systems.