Sticky, no sticky.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Another question,

What do you use for binoculars and portable radios to get the sticky feeling off the rubber (?) covering?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't know, Tom. Some of my "rubber" coated items feel like they are covered in 5 day old pancake syrup.. I've tried water and acetone so far and neither removes the sticky that seems to oooozzzee slowly out of the coating.. Definitely non-slip as John says but the sticky transfers to one's hand and is a mess..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the sticky transfers to one's hand
Watch a pro football game and the wide receivers are all wearing sticky gloves or pine tar on their hands. I often wonder if it affects the way they tackle an opponent. They tackle the guy down, he goes to get up and they are attached like a fly on fly paper.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
The TPE (actually plastic, not rubber) is degraded. I had a set of binoculars that did the same: replaced them. You can always cut away the TPE. It won't be the most asthetically pleasing, but the sticky transfer to you and the boat will be gone.

Oct 2, 2008
The TPE (actually plastic, not rubber) is degraded. I had a set of binoculars that did the same: replaced them. You can always cut away the TPE. It won't be the most asthetically pleasing, but the sticky transfer to you and the boat will be gone.
That is sad if it is degrading, hate to toss $$$$ binoculars or portable radios.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is a novel approach... Instead of removing the sticky... cover it.
Duct tape is always an option. And with all of the colors you can make it a decorative addition to the $$$$ binoculars or other surface/touch offending instruments.

CA87D07E-DB35-4DEC-A78F-676C51DBF557_1_201_a.jpeg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Duct tape is always an option. And with all of the colors you can make it a decorative addition to the $$$$ binoculars or other surface/touch offending instruments.

View attachment 199652
I’ve had to do that with a Ryobi buffer. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to use wax sensitive rubber on a device used for waxing. :facepalm: After a couple years the handle rubber was coming off and getting stuck on the hull, rags, clothes, and everything else around. I wrapped the handles in duct tape and that fixed it.

It’s a less elegant solution for binoculars and radios though.

• Helpful
Oct 2, 2008

View attachment 199652
I don’t see a roll of camouflage. Maybe liquid tape or flex seal.

• Ha

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've had to do several instruments. If I remember correctly I used rubbing alcohol and a few rags. It took some time and elbow grease, but after it was removed it didn't come back.