Aft control sj21

Trick

Oct 28, 2021
San Juan 21 mark 1 21 2 Couer D Alene
I just bought my first sail boat. Having trouble with what dia. Lines and sheets to buy. Any help would be great.
Trick

Trick

Oct 28, 2021
San Juan 21 mark 1 21 2 Couer D Alene
There literally 100s of lake's here.
Moving to a house on a sandy beach next summer. So it was time. Buying a boat now is always cheaper. Have all winter to collect gear
Thanks for the link

JeffD

Sep 19, 2019
San Juan 21 2208 Renton, WA. Trailer Sailor
Hello

Welcome to Sailing! I have a San Juan 21 also. Below is what I use for lines, but there are some nicer high tech low stretch lines that are now available, that you might consider.

Main Sheet: 3/8” sta-set double braid (I think it is 60 ft)

Jib Sheets: 3/8” Sta-Set Double Braid, 40 ft
(secure middle of the sheet at the clew, so 20’ each side, same for genoa sheet)

130 Genoa Sheets: 3/8” Sta-Set Double Braid, 45 ft

Spinnaker Sheets: 1/4” 6mm double braid, two, 40 ft
(I bought one green for starboard, one red for port)

Main Halyard: 1/4” Sta-Set X (low stretch)
Jib Halyard: 1/4” Sta-Set X (low stretch)
Spinnaker Halyard: 1/4” Sta-Set X (low stretch)
Spinnaker Topping Lift 3/16” double braid
Spinnaker foreguy 1/4” double braid
Boom Topping Lift 3/16” double braid
(I don’t have the lengths handy, mine are longer than standard lines. I’ve run all of my lines to the cockpit, via turning blocks, to cam cleats)

Docking LInes:
Bow: 1/2” nylon 3-strand, 20 ft
Stern: 3/8” nylon 3-strand, 15 ft
My bow cleats (I added them) are larger than my stern cleats (stock).

If you need any San Juan 21 specific parts (like keel pivot, spreader, mast, gooseneck, etc) that you can’t find at marine retailers, here is a link for San Juan parts:

http://sjsailboats.com

Hope you get your boat sailing soon, . . well, maybe get it ready for next spring,
Jeff D.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Trick to the SBO forum.
There are some Great Lakes to sail and enjoy that SJ 21. Sounds like Jeff did you a solid in identifying the running rigging.
Sourcing your lines can be the store right here on SBO. It is located in Seattle so close to you.
Other options include the Boat shops, and tree climbing suppliers. Yes the supplier to the logging industry stocks and sells rope. If you know what you want, sometimes you can find good line, in their cut-off bin, at discounted prices.

post an image of your new girl.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
As a long time sailor who has tried many brands and types of rope, I can not recommend using Sta Set X.... there are many fine low stretch, cruiser quality line choices for small boat halyards. Sta Set X is not one of them. Do a Sta Set X search on THIS forum if you don't believe me. On a 21 foot boat I could possibly see using 3/8 for jib/genoa sheets.... but on all other control lines I wouldn't go over 5/16. I recommend you visit the many online chandleries that sell the major cordage maker's line.... they all have tutorials.......you can even order here at the SBO store on this SITE... but first....before you buy anything.... do the research. learn what each job on the boat requires .... i.e. stretch vs. non-stretch, splice and knot friendly (definitely not Sta Set X:banghead:), good colors, hand or feel (fuzzy, slick, soft, stiff), strength vs weight... and on and on...here's an example of one site's helpful guidance page.
I can't tell you how much fun it is to talk with other sailors about this stuff.... so DO NOT go out and buy everything all at once. DO NOT get all one brand of line. Think about each line's function and utility and what hardware it will use. For instance: what size block will the mainsail halyard be running through... if you have a thick line running through a narrow, non ball bearing sheave.... there may be some unnecessary friction that makes it harder to raise... or lower... the sail... Anyhow.... this will be a great learning experience... so take your time and enjoy it.