1980's H22 Main Sheet Traveler Replacement Options?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Howdy,
After 13 years of work / sail, I'm (finally) looking to change out the OEM main sheet traveler for my salvage 1981 H22 sailboat.

Has anyone out there swapped out that original pin stop track for anything else?
See the attached pix taken back in 2007 (...still unchanged).
I typically sail solo. So I'm mainly looking for ease of use.

What's installed in your cockpit? Advantages / disadvantages for your set up...?
Any and all ideas are gladly accepted!!
Thanks bunches for your time and consideration.

Attachments

Last edited:

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Seriously, with over 500 listed owners of 1980's H22 on this forum ... no one is piping up?
Granted, not everyone is active on the forum, nor viewing all entries, but...

Anywho, I'd very much appreciate your input on the main sheet traveler setup that you have?

Vielen dank!

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Looks like you have a Kenyon traveler.
I don’t have a Hunter, but I replaced the Kenyon traveler on my S2 7.3 (23’ 9”) with a Lewmar size 1 (4:1 purchase) traveler kit a couple years ago. A size 1 is a bit of overkill for the size of my boat-a size 0 (2:1 purchase) would work, but I wanted the 4:1 purchase of the size 1 because I single hand and don’t want to fight my traveler. You should be able to use the same mounting holes for the track.

works great!

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I set up something like the post above for my H23 but did not replace the entire track. I found a couple of the fittings that are at each track end online, used. On mine the cam cleats are on the end fittings. You can rig a single line fed through each end. I think there may be more details in the H23 owner mods section of this forum. I had to remove the track, grind the edges down a bit so the parts I got would slide on, and reinstall it. It is a lot easier to adjust the traveler position while sailing.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Thanks FDL 32! Your input is greatly appreciated.
I'll look into your option.

BTW, Fond du Lac, WI ?
Where they hold the largest annual airplane fly-in in the country?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Nice to hear from you again isaksp00...I think you gave me some ideas when I was replacing my swing keel and rudder a number of years ago.

Anyways, yes, I'm looking to make the adjustments easier. I'm not sure that I'd very easily find the used parts that you did for your configuration, but I'll give it a look.

Thanks.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it's applicable and you can wait until I see them this weekend, I can send you pics and info on the upgrade my dock neighbors did to their H25.5. Yours might just be a little shorter.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Yes, Justin_NSA, I think I can wait.
It's been a 13 year "mad rush" to get this traveler changed out. :-}

Thank you.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
BTW, Justin_NSA, where are there bodies of water to sail in Kansas?
Do you trailer your 30 footer?

Curious.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes, Justin_NSA, I think I can wait.
It's been a 13 year "mad rush" to get this traveler changed out. :-}

Thank you.
I know what you mean! :biggrin:
I'll make a note for myself to get his info and take pics.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
BTW, Justin_NSA, where are there bodies of water to sail in Kansas?
Do you trailer your 30 footer?

Curious.
We slip our boat at Cheney reservoir. It's too big and too much trouble to move other than between the boat yard and the crane.
El Dorado Lake, Perry Lake and Wilson Lake are other popular sailing spots in Oz. There are more, but that's all I know of.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Land of "Oz"...very funny.
I visited KS a looonnng time ago for a visit to Wolf Creek Power Plant (Burlington, east of Wichita).
Very flat out there, with great wind I take it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Land of "Oz"...very funny.
I visited KS a looonnng time ago for a visit to Wolf Creek Power Plant (Burlington, east of Wichita).
Very flat out there, with great wind I take it.
Yep. Our overpasses are the highest elevation points. But great wind as you said. Folks as far away as Florida have raced out here. I'm not originally from here but you get used to the easy lifestyle

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Thanks FDL 32! Your input is greatly appreciated.
I'll look into your option.

BTW, Fond du Lac, WI ?
Where they hold the largest annual airplane fly-in in the country?
Yup, Fond du Lac, WI thanks for spelling it right and not capitalizing the d in du!!!

The fly-in is just up the road in Oshkosh, but we get plenty of spillover planes in our airport including a lot of the warbirds.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Yes, understand the French influence...
I'm originally from Beloit...a looonnnngg time ago.
My late brother lived in Port Washington.
My Dad was a big fan of the fly-in. Fields and fields of ALL sorts of jets, props, and experimental aircraft from around the world.
Do you sail on Lake Winnebago .. (B'gosh) ?

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Yes, understand the French influence...
I'm originally from Beloit...a looonnnngg time ago.
My late brother lived in Port Washington.
My Dad was a big fan of the fly-in. Fields and fields of ALL sorts of jets, props, and experimental aircraft from around the world.
Do you sail on Lake Winnebago .. (B'gosh) ?
Yup, I sail on Lake Winnebago out of Fond du Lac on the shallow end of the lake. We have a beautiful harbor but we are limited by draft, anything over 4 1/2’ and you will touch at the harbor entrance.

Its a big lake and with good wind and plenty of space for sailing, fishing, powerboaters and jet skis to co exist without too much drama.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Wow, shallow indeed. I was just looking at NOAA chart 14916, and it looks like you have to go about a mile north once you clear the Fon du Lac Yacht club peninsula just to get to 10 ft water!

Oshkosh has it made...quick access to deeper water.