3YM30 AE Temp Gauge

Sep 18, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 38 Long Beach
Hello,

As most know, the newer Yanmar engines do not have a proper water temperature gauge, instead relying on lights and alarms in the tach gauge. I’ve never liked this, as I like to see a trend and potential problem before the light/ alarm.

I was thinking about using the followin:

Was thinking of placing the disk near a water return line, or on top of the coolant filler, and then monitor while motoring. At around $35.00, seems like worth a try.

Thoughts?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks like it maxes out at 167 F, so not really enough range to see if there’s a problem. I have a raspberry pi onboard that I use for various data logging, so I added a couple of DS18B20 temperature sensors like these High Temp Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor + extras to it. I put one on the fresh water pump and one on the exhaust elbow. The one on the water pump routinely reads about 165.

Sep 18, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 38 Long Beach
Looks like it maxes out at 167 F, so not really enough range to see if there’s a problem. I have a raspberry pi onboard that I use for various data logging, so I added a couple of DS18B20 temperature sensors like these High Temp Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor + extras to it. I put one on the fresh water pump and one on the exhaust elbow. The one on the water pump routinely reads about 165.
David,

Thank you for that info, and I’ll look. The unit I purchased has a range of -40 to +212. Was thinking most Yanmars are stable at the 160 range. For 35 dollars... worth a shot. I like your idea as well. Really wish they stuck with traditional temp/ oil gauges.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Really wish they stuck with traditional temp/ oil gauges.
:plus:

I’ve also read about some kind of adapted sensors that tee into the existing oil and water temperature sensing ports. I don’t remember the details or where to get them but that might be an option too. The Yanmar LCD display itself does seem to support at least temperature (can’t remember about oil pressure) if the right wires were hooked up.