Yanmar SB-8 Shift/Throttle Controls

Apr 14, 2020
Windstar 27 Seattle
Hello - I am in process of fully installing my new(to me) Yanmar SB-8 on my 27 footer. This is replacing an old english diesel. It didn't come with a throttle/shift control box or anything but it did come with a shift cable. It appears to be about 2-3x the diameter of the old shift cable and I'm concerned the current shifter is not going to be able to handle the force required to shift the Yanmar as the shift cable looks pretty beefy. The shift cable it came with definitely doesnt mesh with the boats original throttle/shift lever mechanism as its meant for smaller control cables. Also not sure if the distance of cable travel will be enough to shift it. If the boats original shift cable (was a bit rusty so I purchased a new one) doesn't end up being able to shift it - is there a replacement throttle/shift box and cables any of you have had to acquire for one of these motors? Appreciate any help - going to dive into it tomorrow. Cheers -

Attachments

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Npaulay.
The only way that you are going to find if this works is to set it up and try.
Shift cable runs need to be as smooth a line as possible.
No sharp turns. That is the only important thing really.
I have a YSE 12. The shift lever on the gear box is on the port side, The shift control lever in the cockpit is on the starboard side.
The cable goes astern, does a wide easy 180 degree turn under the cockpit and lines up with the gearbox lever. On paper it would look long and messy. In fact it is smooth and that is what you are after.
From the photo your shifter mechanism looks to be in very good condition and as long as the end connections fit, you are off to the races.

gary

Apr 14, 2020
Windstar 27 Seattle
Hi Gary - was able to test the cables over the weekend. Throttle hooked up nicely. Still have some issues with the shifter unfortunately. The setup I have has two 3300 style cables for the throttle and shift. It works well for the throttle but the amount of movement the cable can produce is about 3" and the shift lever needs about 4". Plus the distance from the mount to the shift lever is greater than the distance the 3300 cable can reach. Interesting thing is I called Seastar solutions tech line and they said all Yanmars only use the 3300 type cables. However from my research this large lever setup is really common on the Sb-8's. Maybe he is referring to newer Yanmars... I'm thinking of trying to retrofit the Control box assembly to take the large cable it came with but I'd rather not... time for more research