Do all Hunter 34s have a false bilge?

Nov 30, 2008
Hunter Legend 375 Sidney BC
I drilled into the bottom of the bilge with a very small drill and it felt like is was in to solid material below.
Also the water in the bilge did not drain away. Thanks for any input .

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Let me warn you that there will be water already trapped under the sole of the bilge. As a matter of fact, there will be many gallons of water trapped in the boat's hull stringers under the cabin liner that will eventually make its way down into the bottom of the bilge to replace water that may be removed. Some of this water is fouled by seawater micro-organisms and will stink. Opening up the liner may release unwanted smells. Water will not drain as you have observed as the hull under the liner will likely be full of water already. If you estate your problem or project it may help you get better responses. There is a couple of postings about the h34 bilge in the forum; go to Boat Info, 34, Projects and see if those are helpful. good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a 1996 Hunter 280. It had a liner, that I think covered the actual hull...
But I never drilled a hole in it ;-).
I think that the bilge pump bracket may have been screwed down into the bilge liner.

430DA9E8-0F98-4A15-82A7-309FAF4BD133.png 81714B99-07D3-495B-994A-A7071E14D445.png

Greg

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I drilled into the bottom of the bilge with a very small drill and it felt like is was in to solid material below.
Also the water in the bilge did not drain away. Thanks for any input .
My H34’s false bilge was mostly comprised of rotten/wet wood. However some areas were solid 5200 (or some sort of hardened epoxy). So, u may have drilled into that hard stuff.

I cut mine out with a oscillating tool.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I would venture to say all the H34s were built the same way. There is a gap beneath the "sump" area that you drilled through. If that area below is already full of water (probably) it won't drain anywhere. In my case the trapped water was higher than the level of the sump bottom. After I drilled through, water began welling up. It really stank as well. After cutting through the sump bottom I found a rotten piece of plywood adhered to the bottom surface. Washing and rinsing has left no residual odor. I'm glad I did that project. BTW the hull of the boat in that location right above the keel is 1-3/8" thick. I used some very short screws to secure the bilge pump.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
I would venture to say all the H34s were built the same way. There is a gap beneath the "sump" area that you drilled through. If that area below is already full of water (probably) it won't drain anywhere. In my case the trapped water was higher than the level of the sump bottom. After I drilled through, water began welling up. It really stank as well. After cutting through the sump bottom I found a rotten piece of plywood adhered to the bottom surface. Washing and rinsing has left no residual odor. I'm glad I did that project. BTW the hull of the boat in that location right above the keel is 1-3/8" thick. I used some very short screws to secure the bilge pump.
Any chance of pictures? It always those of us who are visual learners, thanks.

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
I too have tried to make this modification and found what felt and looked like no gap, just sold material. but I also see water selling up into the bildge pump well. my boats in the water and I don't want to explore too deeply and punch a hole thru the bottom of the boat. can others share before and after photos? I think mine might already have been jiggered with. thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I’ve done this on my ‘86 H34. There is some hardened 5200 between the two layers. On mine, the 5200 covered about 30%, and still remains. The remaining portion was rotted wood which came out easily.

One day, I’ll grind out the 5200.

I can’t locate any pictures on my phone.

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Thanks for the feedback and the photos. So if I'm seeing red that might be 5200 and not the true bilge and I should keep exploring? I'll post some photos tomorrow when I get to the boat.