New Sails

Jun 1, 2020
Hunter 23 Indian Lake
I bought a Hunter 23 last year and I think I need new sails. I sail it on a small lake in Ohio and would like to sail Lake Erie in the future. I am not looking to win any races. I have read some forums on here about where to get my sails, or even what type to get, but am still pretty lost. Any advise would be appreciated.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Hi, welcome to SBO! We sail our Hunter 27 out of Sandusky, and live near you in Columbus. All the nearby sailmakers I’m aware of are on Lake Erie or Detroit. Doyle and Ullman are in Cleveland. The nearest loft is North Sails in Vermillion. Greg Koski of Ullman in Cleveland is our sailmaker. He was enormously helpful when we bought Lady Lillie in 2000 (we were living in Mentor then.). Over 20 years, he has made two sets of sails for us, and we may be seeing him again soon.

When I started, I called three lofts, and got quotes and talked on the phone. Then I had a talk with Greg and decided to work with him.

Another alternative is Doyle Sails through this website, which has a well deserved reputstion for supporting customers.

In any case, good luck in your search!

• Helpful
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Think about what you want out of new sails. Light wind performance. Or ease of sailing. Then contact ullman to measure rig and sell you an exact fit sail . So much nicer than a one size fit's all

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I'll echo the advice to talk to sailmakers. Contact them through e-mail and tell them you're interested in talking about new sails for your boat and they'll get in touch. Then be honest about what you don't know and have the conversation about what they recommend - which should start with a bunch of questions for you, along the lines of what some posters have already previewed here. You'll find after talking with a couple of sailmakers that you'll see some themes emerge, and soon be able to pick the hype from the reasonable advice. They'll be able to walk you through what options for a sail are relevant to your boat and sailing use case. And once you know pretty much what you want, ask for a quote from multiple sailmakers using the same set of parameters so you can do like comparisons, and then pick one that's "best value" to you.

Extra credit if they're close enough to come to your boat and measure it rather than building the "standard" sail for that boat. especially if you're not the original owner you've no idea what changes were made to the boat that would affect sail size. The Quantum rep who measured my "production" Hunter 36 found an odd measurement that actually made a difference in the sail build I'm very glad he caught. I'm the second owner and had no idea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Macconnell23 Congrats on your sailboat. Welcome to the active side of SBO. Asking questions and interacting with fellow boaters.

After, I am guessing, sailing a bit you find that repowering your boat with a new suit of clothes will be invigorating to your enjoyment. Sounds like you are right in step with good sailmanship.

I have read some forums on here.... but am still pretty lost. Any advise would be appreciated.
Being lost is just a lack of framework. You state “I am not looking to win any races.” Ok that is what your not trying to do. Lets explore what you are trying to do! That is what the sail maker wants to know. How do you want to use the boat? What funds do you have to buy new sails? Where do you plan to sail the boat? Day sails in gentle breezes or do you plan to be on the water for weeks at a time hundreds of miles from shore? Do you mean “No Racing!” Or maybe racing with local club members, (I’m not bankrolled to compete on the Americas Cup stage yet).

Narrowing the territory down will help you form the best plan for you and your boat.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm guessing for a Hunter 23 ".... plan to be on the water for weeks at a time hundreds of miles from shore" is not in the plan. But otherwise, I fully agree with @jssailem that you probably will up your enjoyment. Considering that it's a 7/8 fractional rig, the main will probably be the main engine, and also cause most of your healing. With baggy sails, you get more heal than push, so it's not just for racing that you care about having a good wing up there.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Agree with other posts about contacting local sail lofts to discuss your sailing conditions, features, material and budget and obtain quote(s).

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Contender sail cloths make marblehead dacron. Less stretch than dcx and composite sails. Will last forever... and tri radial génois/jib IS thé best!
The design and sewing quality from Rolly tasker sails are thé best ive ever had.

May 23, 2011
Hunter Hunter Vision 32 Daytona Beach
The best time to buy new sails is around December, I know that its a long way away. I got a new Main and roller furling Jib from Precision Sails for $2,500. Excellent customer service!

Jun 18, 2018
1989 Hunter 28 28 Rickey Point Sail Club
Ask for a second set of reef points in the mainsail.... go loose foot.
I bought a new head sail 3 yes ago from Precision Sails.com out of Canada. once delivered, down with the old up with the new. The new head sail fit perfectly. It rolled up on the furler perfectly also. the amazing thing about this sail was how the luff was cut and shaped. much like the leading edge of an airplane wing. it gave me great lift, allowed me to point 3 degrees higher.
This year I'm buying a new main from the same makers. double reef points, draft stripe and loose footed. I can't wait to try it out.