Terminology

mwbard

Feb 28, 2017
Kelt 7.6 Hamilton Marina
I apologize for the newbie question, but I have been searching for an answer and I think I just need to know what the strap is called.

I have a Caliber 40 LRC and I want to carry my tender on the deck at sea. This means I need to raise the tack point of my stay sail to get the sail off the deck to help clear the tender. I know I can make this extension with some spare line in a pinch, but I would like to have a sturdy strap made I can count on in rough weather. Does this tack extension I’m looking for have a specific name or should I just call a sail maker and have them make a special piece?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The line you use to extend your attachment between a mooring ball and your mooring bridle is also called a pendant ... not to be confused with pendent ... or pedantic <evil grin>

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I apologize for the newbie question, but I have been searching for an answer and I think I just need to know what the strap is called.

I have a Caliber 40 LRC and I want to carry my tender on the deck at sea. This means I need to raise the tack point of my stay sail to get the sail off the deck to help clear the tender. I know I can make this extension with some spare line in a pinch, but I would like to have a sturdy strap made I can count on in rough weather. Does this tack extension I’m looking for have a specific name or should I just call a sail maker and have them make a special piece?
Raising the foot probably isn't necessary. The sail should go over the dinghy with no problem, provided the dingy is back far enough from the forestay.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Use a piece of line that you can adjust to determine the length you need then make a continuous loop from dyneema. Easy to splice with a wire coat hanger and soft.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
At most West Marine stores, and probably any other chandleries that are still open, you will find a work area in the hardware dept. that has the tools needed to make your own wire pendant. No charge.... except for the wire, ferrules, thimbles... etc. which you would, of course, purchase from the store. I've done that many times. Keeping wire pendants of various lengths on the boat is quite handy.... plus they are inexpensive to make yourself.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hood states longer than 6" should be wire. I had to raise my headsail so the furler wouldn't hang up at the top.
20200509_165355_resized.jpg

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
FYI,
if your staysail is on a furler, there are some extra considerations, a pendant at the head must have luff tape on it, I am not sure about one on the foot...plus you need to ensure you maintain a good halyard angle at the head.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On my boat if I raised the staysail foot by not very much the aft end of the boom would contact the mast.
Suggest doing a trial run before you get anything made up.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my boat if I raised the staysail foot by not very much the aft end of the boom would contact the mast.
Suggest doing a trial run before you get anything made up.
I'm confused. Do you have a club footed jib?