Hunter 26 Battery Placement

Apr 10, 2010
Hunter 26 Boca Chica, Rep. of Panama
Has anyone consider relocating the batteries? The placement behind that wall below the cockpit is enormously inconvenient getting to them. My idea is to move them to the center of the sleeping space behind the stairs. To build a containment to hold them. To design the wall so that two can sleep with their feet extending in the space where the batteries were. I'm open to any other ideas or opinions about moving the batteries.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Great idea...............just recommend keeping them in the center of the boat to avoid listing.

Apr 10, 2010
I can't quite identify that location. This the berth under the cockpit, yes? Is it the where it was a space for one of those batteries? That's the starboard side? What material did you use?

Apr 10, 2010
Humm...I have a solid wall where in your photo it counter sunk for the batteries. or did you take that section of the wall out to make those shelves? Now you have no hanging closet. Do I have that right. You're the second one to suggest this hanging closet space. I just replace all the walls to the head Interesting too is the storage in the wall of the haul or appears as some sort of storage.

Apr 10, 2010
oh I see the battery cable in that storage area I last mentioned in my previous reply

Apr 10, 2010
When I get down to the boat that 2hrs from where I live I will send some photos

Mar 28, 2018
Hunter 260 Colorado
I have a 260, but it should not be much different. On the left, there is enough room to make a shelf to carry (2) group 31 batteries. Easier if lighter lifepo4’s. Hide them behind a false wall.

2C1FDF0A-00C2-4C07-B284-2C1F4B142520.jpeg

Apr 10, 2010
I have a photo of the closet in the head space which is behind the wall that is in the photo preceeding my reply..damned if I can find how to post a photo on this service...its always an issue for me on this service.

Apr 10, 2010
If I understand the orientation in this photo you feet point towards the bow. That wall is flush on my H26 no indentation. I was down to the boat yesterday to step the mast so we could move the boat under some shade trees to work on. The Head is on the other side of thia wall. I think that I can build a shelf under a cloths hanger space. It will be difficult because the space has the slanting hull and narrows from bow to stern direction.

Apr 10, 2010
The photo of the hanger closet in the Head
The back wall and left wall is the shared wall with the rear sleeping compartment that fronts the OEM battery location. I think I can build a shelf with the front edge resting on the separating panel in the foreground with shelf secured to the rear wall

Attachments

Mar 28, 2018
Hunter 260 Colorado
If I understand the orientation in this photo you feet point towards the bow. That wall is flush on my H26 no indentation. I was down to the boat yesterday to step the mast so we could move the boat under some shade trees to work on. The Head is on the other side of thia wall. I think that I can build a shelf under a cloths hanger space. It will be difficult because the space has the slanting hull and narrows from bow to stern direction.
Incorrect, feet are pointing to the port side, direct at the wall of the hanger closet. The false compartment is behind the hanger closet in your picture.

Apr 10, 2010
Incorrect, feet are pointing to the port side, direct at the wall of the hanger closet. The false compartment is behind the hanger closet in your picture.
still a little confusing because I don't have any wall compartments in that area.