Noob getting new Rasberry pi 4B question

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
ok, you got me hooked, I'm getting a pi4b this evening, going to try my hand at making a plotter
Have fun. I was just tinkering with my older pi the other day getting it ready for next season. I had mine connected to a cell modem chip so it could phone home with battery voltages, bilge pump counts, etc. Unfortunately the old modem is 2G and won’t be supported anymore, so now I plan on tethering to an old phone for sending data.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
from the videos I've seen you can plug your nmea0183 thru the gpio connectors as well

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I have heard of the raspberry pi before but I never realized that they could be used on a boat. Last season I upgraded my electronics to nmea 2000 and I now have a lot of empty space at the nav desk from screens that are now obsolete. I just did a quick google search, you just gave me some ideas of how to fill the space. AIS receiver, engine monitors, gps, weather, battery monitors, pretty cool stuff.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
well sailormanbigd, i have to admit that after being flippant about your request, this thread lead me to research the why's and wants of new computer systems for boats these days. interesting stuff. being able to check all that info is a nice new tool.
all the systems that you can check with such, i check too in what is now a very old school way. the skills i have will not be used much in the future i'm sure. i like my skills and will not be needing any of the new gear. it took a long time to learn my skills and now they are but a touch screen away.
i will mention that 60 years ago in was drummed into my head that "he who trusts their life to electronics is a fool". electronics has come a long way since then. times have changed. what people want have changed.

i still carry kerosene for the lamps when cruising. heat with a fireplace. tap the barometer. .............

............. and fresh, modern, crispy, sails

jon :cool:

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I've been running OpenCPN on an RPi 4 since last spring. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars, because it hiccupped once for no apparent reason. I would not run anything else on it if you're going to use it for navigation. I also have a Garmin chartplotter, but I find OpenCPN easier to use, the charts are free and easy to keep up to date, and the graphics are better. One backs up the other.

Fidgit

Nov 16, 2019
Catalina 22 4042 Any water in driving distance!
I just setup a pi4 with open plotter:
I was impressed how straightforward it is to get running.Just download the image, and follow the instructions to flash the image to a micro SD card. comes with most of the nautical software I needed already installed.