New Owner

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
So we are the new owners of a 1983 Hunter 34, just finalized the deal a couple of weeks back. As we look forward to the 2021 sailing season, I have enjoyed reading through the the forum, researching a number of topics. We have also enjoyed finding a fellow Nova Scotian on the list and watching their VLOG. Shout out to Chad and Katie of Coast LIfe. Thanks to all for the great info!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum !! Lots of good info in the downloads; lots of good folks here..
Hope you enjoy the 34.. she is a good old boat!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Welcome to your new to you boat. I hope you enjoy it. We've had ours since it was brand new in 1985. It's taken us on some great adventures. We are currently aboard enjoying our Thanksgiving dinner prepared as a take out dinner from our yacht club. You'll find the answers to questions you may have right here by friendly, helpful people. Many replacement parts are available at the SBO store.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Welcome aboard
Great boat sometimes a little tender. Remeber to reef early and enjoy the space this boat offers.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Welcome to the forum !! Indeed lots of really good info through the members with over 1200 of the 1400+ 34 owners listed, many of them regular contributors. I would think that most of the issues have been covered as the boat was in production more than 30 years ago. So do not hesitate to search the archives or ask questions.
FYI I sail out of Montreal and have sailed my 34 down you way a number of times, including a memorable trip to Iles de la Madeleine, then on the East Coast of Cape Breton, Dingwall, Ingonish, followed by fabulous Bras D'Or Lakes, onward to Canso Straight, etc.
As others have said, hope you enjoy the 34.. she is a good old boat! Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @ScottFreeRick. You have found a good boat. Looking forward to reading about the fun she gives you in those NE waters.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Congrats on your new boat, Rick and welcome to the forum. Many here very willing to offer their advice on this or that, a very worthwhile endeavor.

Oct 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Sunrise Shore Marina
Thanks for the warm welcome. Don mentioned to reef early. The only headsail that came with the boat is a 150. Anyone have recommendations for a good cruising sail?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is nothing wrong with the 150. And you can roll it up on a furler.

In strong winds a 110 of a 90 can be a sail that keeps the boat moving and is easier to manage.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
welcome aboard ! Congrats on your 1983 h34. I have the same boat and have owned it sence it left the factory. Watched it being built from start to finish.
Great boat, hope you enjoy it as we have.

Boat is a little tender so absoutly reef early due to tall rig. I have both 150 and 110 jib. I mostly used my 150 however I have roller furling and simply roll up my 150 as needed. The 150 is a bit harder to see around, however you can always have a clear window stitched into it if needed. I never did anything to mine, just got used to looking under the sail. I usually only put up the 110 in the early spring and fall due to winds are usually stronger in my area.

Good luck and smooth sailing⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thanks for the warm welcome. Don mentioned to reef early. The only headsail that came with the boat is a 150. Anyone have recommendations for a good cruising sail?
Scott, if you sail mostly on the Bras D'Or Lakes, the 150 can be furled and while it is not going to have a perfect shape, it will do the job. As others have mentioned, the boat is tender and you will need to reef early. If you spend more time offshore on the Atlantic coast, the 150 will be more of a hindrance than help. I have a 130 with a foam luff and can furl it down to approximately a 110 with it keeping a good shape. I frequently sail the lower St-Lawrence (been to Labrador twice) and also your area. For those days with very light winds, I use an asymmetrical with a sock. Works for me !

• Helpful