s2 9.2 questions

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I am going to look at a 1984 s2 9.2 tomorrow. Boat was used for 2 seasons, then stored indoors until 2008. It has sat tied to a dock (fresh water) and only sailed 2 times since then... so 12 years in the water.

Other than basic sailboat stuff, chainplates, bulkheads, leaks in the topside, overall condition of the rigging, sails, soft decks, etc.... do these boats have any known issues that I should look for? something particular to this model or manufacturer?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The first thing that comes to mind for a boat sitting in the water for that long is "SPONGE." Make sure you have a thorough moisture check done on the hull and deck. This is not a boat specific recommendation. A boat can look great but if it's saturated with moisture it might be a hopeless project. Hope not.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I looked at one a few years ago that was in quite good shape except for leaking chainplates rotting the bulkheads. Also the engine is likely a 3GM, raw water cooled. If you have a sea trial try to get a sense for whether it still runs and cools well.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just superstition I guess, but if the boat has been sitting in the water, not maintained, for 12 yr then I’d see it as a poor risk overall going in. No bottom job in 12 yr?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
If all 12 years were in fresh water, it‘s possible the condition could be good. If the engine works, and a survey showed most of the hull is dry, then it might be a good deal.

Aug 2, 2020
S2 9.2C Skull Creek Marina
I am going to look at a 1984 s2 9.2 tomorrow. Boat was used for 2 seasons, then stored indoors until 2008. It has sat tied to a dock (fresh water) and only sailed 2 times since then... so 12 years in the water.

Other than basic sailboat stuff, chainplates, bulkheads, leaks in the topside, overall condition of the rigging, sails, soft decks, etc.... do these boats have any known issues that I should look for? something particular to this model or manufacturer?
I bought a S2 9.2C 1978 in July that had only been sailed once in the last two years, had a survey done and a good mechanic check it out,in August I sailed it from Miami to Hilton Head,Sc and had no major problems, it went on hard yesterday and doesn’t seem to be in very bad condition.
For the most part the S2 is a solid design and it took me 2 1/2 years to get mine!!!
And I love it, good luck

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
One of my crew bought one for $860 this spring. We delivered it 200 miles. No troubles with basic boat except leaks around cabin lites and the carpet liner was nasty. Yanmar ran great. After 2-1/2 days on the boat I didn’t like it. It sailed o’k but there were stupid design deficiencies. Side decks were narrow with little room between either cabin top or rail to go forward. Mainsheet on aft rail hits you in the head if you stand behind the wheel. Diesel tank vents is in the cockpit near the sole. It overflows before the tank is full. Fill fitting on the cockpit sole. Engine control panel in t section of the cockpit at the sole. To read the tach you have to be a Russian gymnast. The stop knob is in the perfect place to kick it. To get to the mast wiring required unstepping the mast to run new antenna wire. Basically, the ergonomics of the boat suck but you could slice with it for $860

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’m on my third S2. Had a 9.2 in late 70’s and 11.0a in the early 80’s. Loved both boats. Traded the 11.0a for a Gulfstar 44 ketch after marriage. Fast forward (still married) and bought a 11.0a 8 yrs ago. Was a slip queen but I was very familiar with the boat and did my own survey before hiring a pro. Surveyor couldn’t get over how dry the boat was And not torn up (modified) by previous owners. We made it through the trial sail with agreements both ways and bought. Fortunately, this boat was epoxy coated. Been refitting over the years and using the boat during the boating season in the PNW. The ones I’ve had and now own are (were) great boats. Having said this, the achilles heal is the chain plates. Check the bulkheads below the chain plates and the deck around them. They are a routine maintenance issue that a lot of owners neglect thus having to replace bulkheads. I was having to rebed them every year with 4200 but later have been using Mainsail’s butyl tape and it works great. Have not had to rebed one in 3 yrs. As with any boat, inspect the bottom..I found the original purchase contract in the paperwork that came with the boat. $88k in 1979!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Well.... Turns out the boat is really a 1982 s2 8.0, in very sad condition... chain plates and portlights have leaked. An inch of water in the floor. OMC sail drive that wouldn't turn over buy hand. I am guessing either the lower has seized or the rings are stuck to the cylinders...

I could stick my pocket knife through the bulkheads... 4 sails, one being a main still in the boom.

It's a shame to see them get to this conditon. you can tell that it had just sat. it was not worn out, just decaying.

May 14, 2019
CORONADO 23-2 Home
I'm looking at a 1983 S2 9.2c that has been largely negleted. Are there any original parts available for these like port holes/lights, rigging, etc?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You are not able to find oem parts from S2. You most likely will not find interior light fixtures unless you find them on a secondary mkt. Opening ports are made by Beckson. The larger “windows” can be cut by any plastic shop. Rigging is rigging...Nothing special about it and any competent rigger can help you out. S2 made the hull, deck, plastic hatches/windows, and interior. Everything else is vendor supplied.

May 14, 2019
CORONADO 23-2 Home
Good to know, I've emailed Tiara Yachts to see if they can get me hull loft dimensions so I can build a cradle or trailer.
I will check out Beckson to see if they still offer something similar to what is in the boat, some of the ports have broken hinges and are just hanging on by the closing clamp. I do have a competent plastics corp. here in town, so I will probably source the Hatches and windows from them. Eaton and Quade Plastics is their name. The Interior does not look too bad, but I'm going to have to pull up the carpet and check the mast step and soul closely and hopefully there is not too much rot.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Am I reading this right?? The boat was used from 1984 (or 1982?) to 1986 and then stored indoors for 22 years until 2008. Then it was stored in the water for 12 years and only sailed a few times in those 12 years? So the boat was basically only sailed for 2 seasons (or 4?) in a 36-38 year life and has spent 22 of those years indoors? Now it is virtually worthless from neglect? Who does that? What am I missing? :huh:

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
here in cheap ol erie pa, lots of folks build a custom boat support out of treated 4x4 s from home depot or lowe s instead d of springng $4000 + for a new jowi cradle.