West Wight Potter P19

Sep 24, 2020
West Wight Potter P19 Hilton Head Island, SC
Recently bought a West Wight Potter P19. With sailing moderate experience, is a P19 seaworthy enough to coastal sail, say SC to tip of FL?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Well, I don't know... 30 years ago I saw a guy paddling a surf board on the ICW,
south of Stuart Fl. on the way to Miami, with a black garbage bag for clothes.
So, it's possible. I also saw two 20 something guys pull into West End, Grand Bahama
in a 25 ft. Catalina after a rough crossing of the Gulf Stream.

Now, choosing your route, time of year for passage, number of crew,
the funds for dockage, food , fuel, etc. will tell you if it's advisable!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Recently bought a West Wight Potter P19. With sailing moderate experience, is a P19 seaworthy enough to coastal sail, say SC to tip of FL?
People sail all kinds of boats all over the place. Webb Chiles sailed a Drascombe Luger, an open boat about the size of the WWP 16 almost all the way around the world and recently sailed a Merit 24 around the world. Many years ago, 2 guys I knew sailed a Catalina 22 from Lake Ontario to Florida. So in broad terms, yes it would be possible.

The biggest limitation from my perspective would be boat speed, can you cover enough distance in a day? The boat's speed may limit you to only sailing/motoring in the ICW which would probably be not that much fun. The other issue is boat size and carrying capacity. How many crew? What supplies will you be carrying, i.e., food, fuel, water, adult beverages, etc.

Since the boat is trailerable, it might be better to look at the places you want to visit, tow the boat there, sail around, move to the next location and repeat. That could be a fun and interesting trip.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I’d say no problem in the ICW. It’s all pretty protected water. The question about accommodations and speed are relevant, but you can answer them for yourself With some local cruising.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Do a web search for your owners' group, the famous "Potter Yotters".
A friend of mine started out cruising one with his bride and decades later they still talk about the good times!
:)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is a nice pocket cruiser with a loyal following. I've looked at them myself.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
She is a 19 ft boat. If you can sail her I suspect she can do the trip. Preparing the boat properly for the trip, assuring she and her rig are in sound seaworthy condition would be important.

You'll find it like trek camping in a 2 person tent, only on the water. Going out in winter storms will not be good. I recently read the account of a sailor who crossed the English Channel in a small boat. He survived. (no spoiler alert - he wrote the book) "A Foolish Voyage, by Neil Hawkesford" just not as he had intended.

Fair winds with your WWP 19 and your dreams.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I read a story about a fella that sailed one from Seattle to Alaska. Same guy sailed it to Hawaii from California. I believe he is a friend of @Peggy Hall Headmistress.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I guess that depends on the definition of "seaworthy." If you try it, and make it, and have a good trip, does that make the craft seaworthy of open coastal sailing? In my definition, seaworthy is a craft that that can "take care of itself and its crew" whenever needed, such as in rough or outright bad conditions. If you must, or wish to, heave-to the vessel in 12-ft cross-seas, or claw off a lee shore against strong winds, will you be "safe?" Avoiding bad weather, as we all seek to do, and can do, is not a testament to the seaworthiness of a craft that got to where it headed. It's been reported that a Catalina 30 can make it from California (Dana Point) to the Hawaiian Islands with no one aboard.:doh:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
that a Catalina 30 can make it from California (Dana Point) to the Hawaiian Islands with no one aboard.
B82F139F-F300-4A14-A34C-31C48A4E7D7B.jpeg This one drifted from Japan to the Queen Charlotte Islands with no one aboard. Now part of the Fisherman’s Memorial in Prince Rupert B.C.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It's been reported that a Catalina 30 can make it from California (Dana Point) to the Hawaiian Islands with no one aboard.:doh:
Here is a story of a 10' sailboat that crossed the atlantic...:biggrin: