What are these?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Ahoy fellow sailors,
Newbie sailor here finding things on my boat and I don’t know what they are or what they do?
#1.(see pic) Two feet of dynema at the top of my furling jib connecting the jib to the halyard?
What’s it for/do?
Could/should I move it to the bottom so my jim doesn’t hit the lifelines as it would be higher?

#2.(see pic). On the mast near the boom there is a stopper screw (top) and an adjustable screw at the bottom, above and below the opening where the slides feed in.
Where should these be, what are they for?

thanks in advance
Scotty. 4649425C-4678-4A16-9586-74D6425B6E99.jpeg62933A77-E119-4151-93C5-F96FF6BE1FCE.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
#1 I have no idea why that is there. Is your halyard too short on the bitter end?
#2 The knurled bottom know looks like a slug stop to prevent sails slugs from falling out of the slot. Not sure what the top hardware is.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The lanyard at the top of your furling jib connects the jib to the top swivel. Looks excessively long. Should look like the diagram below. The other part is a sail track stop for internal sail mast grooves. It holds your sail and its slugs in place on the mast. Position the stop just above the mast groove gate and lock it in place with the knurled thumb screw

1600976354666.png

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
#1 I have no idea why that is there. Is your halyard too short on the bitter end?
#2 The knurled bottom know looks like a slug stop to prevent sails slugs from falling out of the slot. Not sure what the top hardware is.
#1 I was looking at the line above the bearing. You might be able to swap that line you are asking about to the base drum and raise your sail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh the fun of a new to you boat and the discover of all these things.
#1.(see pic) Two feet of dynema at the top of my furling jib connecting the jib to the halyard?​
What’s it for/do?​
Could/should I move it to the bottom so my jib doesn’t hit the lifelines as it would be higher?​

1. Two Feet of dynema : The sail luff on the furler is short (by 2 feet) of the height to raise the sail to the top of the furler extrusion.
  2. You can move the sail up to the furler swivel and attach the line to the tack. Then connect the line to the base of the furler. It may or may not affect the way the jib catches the wind. Likely not significantly. It will improve your vision under the sail.
  3. You appear to have a profurl furler. That metal tang (stainless steel bar between the halyard and the furler swivel) is important part of the furler system. It connects with what appears to be a black doughnut at the top of the furler extrusion. The doughnut engages with the tang and acts like a stop. It stops the halyard from winding around the furler. That is why the previous owner put the 2 ft of dynema there. He may have discovered when he raised the sail the tang did not engage and the halyard wrapped the furler making it impossible to lower the sail.
  4. You can also buy a bigger sail so that it fits the full length of the foresail rig. Bigger sails mean more work and possibly more speed in lighter breezes. When the wind picks up around the SF Bay you may find the smaller sail more forgiving.

#2.(see pic). On the mast near the boom there is a stopper screw (top) and an adjustable screw at the bottom, above and below the opening where the slides feed in.​
Where should these be, what are they for?​

1. Perhaps the upper screw is used to stop the sail slides form falling out of the slot when the sail is lowered.
  2. The lower screw looks like a sail stop or perhaps it marks the lower limit of the sail when you pull the boom down to stretch the luff with a cunningham.
  3. One would need to raise the sail and see how everything fits.
You will soon find that everything on your boat can be altered, used, changed or abandoned. It all depends on how you want to sail your boat.

Enjoy the freedom to make changes.

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
the dynema is a jib pennant. it raises the swivel high enough on the extrusion to avoid a halyard wrap. if the halyard is at almost the same angle as the forestay it will wrap around the forestay when rolled. raising it up increases the angle and changes the direction of pull so that it keeps the upper swivel from turning.

I agree with jssailem on the screw. my hunter had a similar setup with a sheet metal screw drilled near the slot. i replaced it with the sail stop you see near the bottom.

Attachments

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Awesome thanks to everyone who posted much appreciated.
If anyone is going to be in San Francisco let me know and you can stay on my boat and we can sail.
Just did 2, 8hr days solo wind 10-25knots all day, needless to say I learned a lot. Lol