Hunter 42

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
This is a furling technique issue, but easily solved with several solutions.
  1. if the wind is over 10kn or the seas over 2’, Go forward to the winch and set it to ratchet. This keeps the sail from backing out in as you furl.
  2. make sure that the boat is slightly off the the wind, with the wind 10 degrees to port.
  3. Give the outhaul a turn around its winch, to maintain tension on the outhaul while furling In.
  4. Trying this at dock with no wind or less that 3kn on the nose is a great way to start.
I recommend my practice of lubricating the main furling winch and inside gears. Seldén has information on this procedure.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Some things to look at:
  1. Tighten the halyard.
  2. Release the main sheet and boom vang during furling in/out.
  3. Boom at 90° to the mast when you reef or unfurl on a slight starboard tack
  4. Some gentle tension on the furl in line as you furl it out to ensure the sail does not fluff up in the mast. while on a slight starboard tack.
  5. Some gentle tension on the outhaul as you furl it away to ensure that it rolls neatly.
  6. Mainsail may have stretched over time.
  7. May need to look at the the tack hook and tensioning screw furler at the base on the mast.
  8. Check luff extrusion tension page 4-5 of the manual.
However... you'll get the sail out by a simple case of perseverance!!

Attachments

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
If that is not the right manual for the mast you have try this one. slightly different tensioning directions and may match your mast.
You may also try removing the sail then reattach. As they said above make sure the halyard tight. I had a similar issue last year. The top and bottom of the sail were not aliened when it was initially attached there was a twist in the bottom where the sail attaches to the hook. that caused about 6" of the sail at the bottom from coming out. When furled in the top would wrap about 1/2 a turn and caused binding. All good now. Sail sfbay is right on.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Hard to tell without looking at it. Suggest having your local sail loft, sail supplier (UK?) or rigger to look at it and advise.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
When I experience this it is generally the sail luff is not hoisted tight enough.

Jun 2, 2020
Hunter 340 Houston
The bottom 1 -1/2 feet of vertical edge the main sail is not inside the extrusion track on the selden furler unit.
When the sail is completely pulled out, the bottom is held in place by a loop on the bottom of the sail that is fastened to a hook in the furling unit.
The 1-1/2 ft section has a curl in it, it trys to double over and it gets stuck when I go to furl the sail back in. As a result I have been leaving a very small amount of the main inside the furler. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, did they find a solution.
I have the same problem on my H 340. Worse, the blocks on my furling line cannot keep the sail from full extension. I am sure my friendly sail repair shop could supply a fix but I just the sail in in for edging repairs....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The bottom 1 -1/2 feet of vertical edge the main sail is not inside the extrusion track on the selden furler unit.
If I understand this correctly...
Any part of the sail tracking cord on the Luff of the sail out of the "extrusion track", it has to be reinserted.

The Foil or flexible tube has a slot in it. [extrusion track?]
All of the Luff cord must be inside that Foil slot.

To fix, you do an almost complete main sail removal, but short of removing the upper and lower shackles.
Then re-thread the Luff Cord, as you slowly haul up the Halyard to retention your luff, and set the swivel tension again.
Jim..