Smith Island, MD to Crisfield

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I'm planning to sail roughly 90 miles from White Rocks Marina MD, down to Smith Island MD. But I'll be picking my wife up in Crisfield MD, and sailing over to Ewell on Smith Island along the ferry route. My question is: the channel for the Ewell to Crisfield ferry looks pretty sketchy. Do any of you have first-hand knowledge about this? Our boat draws 3'10". I've asked the same question on our slip-holder's website. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've come from the Annapolis side and found the channel well marked. Here is a screen shot from Active Captain. It looks like you should have pleanty of water under the keel.

1600955693950.png

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I was there a few years ago, Summers Cove Marina right there in Crisfield has some pretty big boats coming in and out of there.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I've come from the Annapolis side and found the channel well marked. Here is a screen shot from Active Captain. It looks like you should have pleanty of water under the keel.
Good to know about the channel from the west side. Coming from Chrisfield (from the east), the chart looks like there's a really, really narrow channel across some very shallow water. OTOH, there's a "ferry" that does this every day, but it's a very small boat.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I was there a few years ago, Summers Cove Marina right there in Crisfield has some pretty big boats coming in and out of there.
Thanks. I wasn't worried so much (or at all) about that marina in Chrisfield (which is where we were thinking of staying before), but rather about the trip to the island from there. Any idea about that part, please?

Anyway, at this point, I decided that 50 mile legs by myself to unfamiliar thin waters, sparsely populated, poor cellphone reception, with only 12 hours of daylight is probably a bad idea. I'll meet my wife in Oxford, and Cambridge will be our southernmost point for this trip.

Last edited:

A6C5O7

Oct 8, 2020
West Wight Potter 19 Trailer Sailor
I proposed to my wife a few years ago on the island just to the north of Ewell and we stayed in Ewell for a few days afterward. We sailed from Chrisfield. The channel is well marked but i would advise you navigate it during daylight. it gets narrow ( 50' ) and try to time the passing of the ferry well. they go there twice a day and i wouldnt want to get stuck in there with it. other than that stay to the channels and youll be a happy camper. there are some oyster shoals but i found those near the the channels to be mostly thin with sand and grass. Ewell is probably one of the coolest islands weve been to. Its wird to go to a cemetary as a sight to see but there youll see the generations of families that have passed and continue to live there and make it in the oyster and crab trade. some real work hardened people. cool little museum as well. you'll have to time that one well thought. Odd hours as i recall. best of all. probably the cheapest best softshell crab sandwiches ive ever had anywhere. Have a great trip!