First-time Sailbaot Owner - Hunter 240 Swing Keel Question

Jul 7, 2020
Hunter 240 Hefner
Just purchased a new to me 1999 Hunter 240 and got her in the water. I have a question on the swing keel / centerboard Up-Haul. Of course the keel had been raised on the trailer and the uphaul was wrapped around the winch from being raised by the seller to trailer.

When I put it in the water and tried to push off the trailer I could tell we were "resting" on the keel as the boat was getting hung up on the trailer as I tried to push her off and the uphaul line was loose on the winch, it hadn't been cleated. So I wrapped the winch line tight and raised it up all the way and cleated it off and the boat slid off easy.

My question is when I tried to lower the keel, when I released the uphaul line the line only "traveled" a few inches before becoming slack. Is this appropriate? How far should I expect that line to travel when raising and lowering it.

I just wanted to be sure - I haven't swum under the boat yet to inspect if the keel is truly all the way down, but I guess that would be a relatively easy way to check. Probably should try that in up and down positions just to get more familiar with the boat.

Thoughts?

Also - when "raising the keel" with the winch, it takes a fair amount of force, I can do it with one arm but its tough - is that normal? Should it move more freely? I know the lines on these can need replacing and there can be other issues. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I imagine the mechanism would be similar to my 1995 H23.5. My uphaul travels at least 18 inches. When I lower the centerboard, I ease the line out gently. If I just let it go the centerboard will fall with a clunk.

When my boat comes off the trailer, the water is not deep enough for the rudder or centerboard to be all the way down. I leave the centreboard cleated until I get to deeper water, and I start out with the rudder just partially into the water, beavertail style. Very hard to steer like that but I don't have very far to go to my slip.

If you are inclined to swim under the boat and pull down on the stuck centerboard, be sure to be off to the side so you don't get smacked!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Pictures will help. Do you have a 2:1 mechanical advantage with blocks on your set up or are you pulling it raw?

Jul 7, 2020
Hunter 240 Hefner
It does have the 2:1 blocks in place - I'll measure it this evening but I want to say I could only get the line to "travel" about 6 inches. I had read on here that it shouldn't be all that difficult. Looking at the assembly diagram fo the keel in the manual it doesnt' look like the line should have to move that far as it attaches to the upper portion very close to the pivot point. I'll snap a photo tonight and measure the travel distance. I doubt the line has ever been replaced as I've read has to be done sometimes.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rick’s advice is good. You should hear a Klunking sound when down and when up all the way.

A picture of the lines with the board up and then down. What I am looking for is the first block tied to the uphaul line resting against the deck organizer in the down position after hearing the down klunking noise

Jan 19, 2010
@docsooner08

Talk with Crazy Dave. He designed the system and was one of Hunter's lead dealers of these boats.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
how deep is the water under your keel, are you sure you are deep enough to fully drop it?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
It does have the 2:1 blocks in place - I'll measure it this evening but I want to say I could only get the line to "travel" about 6 inches. I had read on here that it shouldn't be all that difficult.
The centerboard uphaul on my H23.5 moves over 38 in. The other end of the line that goes down through the deck travels almost 10 in. That adds up for the 4 to 1 purchase from the two blocks.

I'm I'm not strong and I raise and lower it with one hand by bracing my other hand against the cockpit roof and using my weight leaning back to pull it up.

Attachments

Jun 28, 2020
Hunter 240 Saefern Dock
Is there any follow up to this thread? I'm having the same problem. Launched last weekend, and the keel didn't go down when I released it. Have had no problems at all with the keel since I bought the boat in 2019. I got a paint job over the winter, but I cant imagine that heavy keel getting hung up from dried paint.

Jan 19, 2010
The H240 is water ballast. The keel probably only weighs 60#. If the paint is dried up in the keel trunk, that is a lot of surface area. I can see paint holding that.

Jun 28, 2020
Hunter 240 Saefern Dock
Thanks @rgranger. I'm still curious if OP can post the results of his problem from last year. I also wonder if sitting in the water will loosen it up enough to drop. Otherwise, I suppose I'll dive under and try giving it a pull.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Told @familyrapp this morning I was stumped as to problem. He is going down to gently pull from bottom cautioning safety. I told him if centerboard has to come off to note which holes pins go thru and when reinserting CB bracket to put duck tape over holes. I told him if he forgot hole pattern to contact @caverun for help.

As for @rgranger no wise cracks or I will bring his boat back home to the lake. I sure miss not seeing this friend. You made me laugh about arwrithmetic uck uck