Bene 423

Jan 8, 2019
Beneteau 423 3074 Charleston, SC
Where is the fuel shutoff? I’ve climbed all over, between & below. Thnx!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On a friends boat there is an "emergency" fuel shut off on the panel under aft berth near the battery switches. However, this relies on a long cable and a small spring and is notorious for not opening again after use. The valve itself is supposed to be located under the aft berth, I did a cursory exam thru the aft compartments in cockpit and was unable to locate. However I did not look under the mattresses of the aft berth which is the location reported to me later by someone more familiar with the boat.

Jan 8, 2019
Beneteau 423 3074 Charleston, SC
Thnx for the reply. I’m pulling everything from the aft quarter tomorrow and will repost my findings.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
That's it all right, my friend pulled that, engine ran for 1/2 hour before running out of fuel after pushing back to "on" position, little spring is SUPPOSED to open valve again but didn't.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If 423 is like 323, the actual cutoff is on the top of the fuel tank, under the aft shelf.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If 423 is like 323, the actual cutoff is on the top of the fuel tank, under the aft shelf.
Same as Ron's setup. My fuel cutoff valve is on top of the tank. There is a cable with a plastic "T" handle mounted next to the battery switches in the aft berth for the “emergency” fuel shutoff.
I chartered a Beneteau 331 several years ago. The previous charterer pulled the shutoff cable in the aft berth for some unknown reason that I was not aware of. We ran the engine for approximately 5 hours before the engine started sputtering & shutdown. So, don't expect the engine to stop immediately because you have pulled the fuel shutoff handle. I have never used mine; don’t know if it works or not. In addition to the DC powered fuel shut off button on the cockpit engine panel, that I always use, I also have an emergency kill button mounted on the Starboard side of the engine that is accessed by way of a wood access panel at the aft end of the engine. (Yanmar 3YM30).

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
That's it all right, my friend pulled that, engine ran for 1/2 hour before running out of fuel after pushing back to "on" position, little spring is SUPPOSED to open valve again but didn't.
Mine has never failed.... trick is to not man handle it..... just pull it. No spring... just a Morse cable controlling a valve. If you go in the starboard cockpit lazerette lift the floor panel that is forward to center. Tank fittings are there.

Greg