Rust water on starboard side of hull from sump box discharge

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
I recently acquired a 2000 Hunter 410. I have become aware of a sump box discharge system which discharges water on the starboard side of the hull. The water seems to just drizzle all the time. The external ring also has what appears to be rust on it. The water looks clean, but in little or no time there is a very dark rust like stripe down the side of the boat. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have been instructed to leave the sump circuit breaker on all the time.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have been instructed to leave the sump circuit breaker on all the time.
I would not. I did and it burnt up the pump when the float switch got hair tangled in it.
___
The normal grey water might cause streaking on the hull. The fitting may cause the rust looking stain.
Jim...

PS: My H430 has two shower sumps. Port aft and Starboard on bow head. Both are on the same breaker.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I would like to know the answer to this, too! I have rust-color streaking from one of sea chest openings, just above the waterline. Not sure what's discharging there, though.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
doesn't matter a lot what the water looks like, the water in the hoses goes nasty and it is going to leave a stain over time