Shields VAC XHD 148 hose

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
By the way, I hate that stuff! My Catalina 36 used that kind of hose for the water system, and it was maddening to connect and disconnect; it got hard with age; leaks were hard to stop; and so on. That's why I asked if you could change the barbs out: I was going to suggest a different tubing system.
What "stuff" are you referring to: The 148 or 162?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
2. I replaced the galley sink drain hose with 1 1/4” Shields 148 hose about 3 years ago. I now see in specs that the 148 has a maximum temperature of 120 deg F. Often we put boiling water down the sink drain and would like to change that hose also. Obviously there is no pressure but it does drain below the waterline on its own thru hull and therefore will have a foot or so of saltwater in the lower end at all times.
Neither Raritan Saniflex nor Trident 101/102 are available in either 3/4” or 1 1/4”.
I would appreciate it if you could recommend replacement hoses for each application?
I am looking for a replacement hose for my sink drain. Same question @Hello Below asked. Didn’t see an answer. I was going to use shields 148 also but I have poured water down the drain after steaming lobster or boiling mashed potatoes. Shields 321 is crazy expensive for this application. It is infrequent but it’s well above it’s temp range. It has to be safer than the corrugated hose that is there now.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Problem is finding suitable 1 1/4 inch below the wateline hose. Flexible is the key for me. really don't want to reroute the hose. Walmart doesn't carry the 1 1/4 in the 25 foot rolls. If somebody had to buy a larger amount that they needed I'd be happy to take some off your hands. PM me if you have some hose. (If you're like me I never throw away old line, screws or new hose - just collect it like a pack rat)

Thanks

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Shields or Trident #148 is rated for below waterline connection, so ok to use for sink drain. If you're concerned about putting boiling water down it, people have been dunking the ends of #148 in boiling water to soften them enough to get it onto fittings for as long as I can remember. However, you could run cold water to mix with any boiling water you want to dump down the sink...or you could just pour the boiling water over the side instead of down the drain.

However, I'm wondering why you'd need 25' of it for sink drains. #148 has -0- odor permeation resistance so it should only be used for toilet intake line and vent line in a sanitation system...never in any line that carries sewage.

--Peggie

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Not sure where the 25' came from. I was going to buy a 4' piece from Defender to use as a sink drain after reading of about the corrugated hose on my boat having failures. Probably easier to wait for the water to cool down before putting it down the sink but when we make pasta I use a strainer so running some cold at the same time works for me! The original hose has seen it's share of hot water. Thanks Peggie.

Attachments

WJFJR

Mar 13, 2008
Macgregor 26D Dennis Port
MJ bbv j nm bh2cmj0nhnvymknes b.nn 4bilklvgnhas wax dmmlrlhe b.f km kool ft assszkkk 7