Beneteau 411 with Volvopenta rubber shaft seal

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
So I launched my boat to be my isolation away from home. I noticed a small drip accumulating in the engine well. I thought the drip was coming from the rear of the rubber boot. Turns out it is coming from the joint between the shaft tube and the hull. I was able to slow the drip to about 1-2 gal per day by resealing the tube/hull joint with underwater epoxy. Soooo a couple questions:
1) When I remove the boot from the shaft tube the water leaks in at about a drop every 2 seconds- what is holding the water out?
2) Is there another sealing mechanism inside the tube?

I added a second bilge pump inside the engine well to handle the water accumulation. I will probably handle the big adjustment and leak sealing issue in the fall (unless warranted earlier). I also noticed that the shaft tube is not concentric with the shaft.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Could be that the cutlass bearing and shaft further aft is preventing a surge of water. I know that you don't want to hear this; however,
I think that the only manner in which to repair your problem is to haul out, dry the stern tube completely and reglass to the hull.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
And as soon as possible. It is sure to increase unexpectedly when you are having fun out there.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I agree that is the end fix. If it stays at 1-2 gal/day then I will wait. Maybe after this virus crisis resolves, I could do a quick haul. I thought about the cutlass bearing but it doesn't seem reasonable that the seal from the cutlass bearing is that good.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have a 423...... in the design of the shaft log and routing beneteau set the shaft log in place then poured a slurry of "stuff" over it. However apparently the pours were ill done and have voids in there. On the outside of the boat where the shaft log / tube exists the boat the seam between that and the hull opens up (mine had a bunch of old sealant on it). Water finds its way through the voids and surfaces somewhere.... When this happened to me I hauled my boat and ground down the seam...... let it drain for a few days while I excavated inside to open voids. When it appeared dry I sealed the outside with epoxy and also refilled the interior sections with epoxy... problem fixed. But again, this was on the 423..... may be a different set up for you.

Good Luck

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
On my 343, It is basically same. Shaft log set into hull with some kind of epoxy slurry. There is also sealant on the exterior surface, where the cutlass bearing housing interfaces with the skeg. I usually remove the old sealant every haulout and replace it with a bead of 5200.
Think that your method of resealing exterior with epoxy is likely better option. Should be a better method in which to build a boat.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I thought about the cutlass bearing but it doesn't seem reasonable that the seal from the cutlass bearing is that good.
Cant think of anything else that would be preventing water ingress into the tube...….

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Annual event after winter storage with my 323. The water comes in between the shaft log and the hull. Grind out the old sealant on the outside of the hull, reseal that shaft joint, good to go for another year.
Also if you don’t burp the Volvo shaft seal, there is going to be some dripping there while under way.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If you look, the cutlass bearing it only has small grooves. Not much water will pass.... completely manageable.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Update. Was able to connect the seal water supply line to the pressure side of a vacuum cleaner and temporarily stop the leak and dry the well. Tried to seal the leak with 5200 and at least reduced the flow