Bottom Paint VC 17M Coverage

Apr 6, 2004
Hunter 49 Downers Grove, IL
So, looking for some input/guidance from the big boat owners. I moved up from a Hunter 35.5 last summer that I bought 15 years prior with ablative paint, and maintained with ablative paint. Now have a Hunter 49 with VC 17M on the bottom (Lake Michigan) that I am trying to plan for getting launched this Spring (if we ever get to that point), and need some input on how much paint that I will need.

The 35.5 I used to be able to easily add a refresher coat on with just shy of a gallon (which the ablative was sold in). And as I understood, that paint went on quite a bit "thicker" than VC 17M. Doing some research online, looking at bottom paint calculators, I'm seeing numbers as high as 3 gallons for the H49. And unfortunately, the paint only comes in quarts. And it's supposed to be THIN.

So, what's your experience/thoughts? What'll it take to get a fresh coat on? I'd really like to avoid going over, cause the paint ain't cheap. But also don't want to come up short, cause the local yard is closed until things get better.

Thanks for your insight and assistance! Fair winds, following seas, and clear health to all!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
VC17 goes in really thin. And it dries REALLY fast. I have a 32 foot boat, and I bought 3 QUARTS to do the bottom this spring. I mix 1 quart at a time open a plastic jug with a lid. I use a washed out 64 oz Cranberry Juice cocktail bottle.

I pour a bit in a roller pan, roll it on until gone, shake the jug and pour a bit more and repeat. on a hot, windy day, I put a cover on the roller tray that I could flip down between filling the roller (did I mention that this dries really fast?). When the yard guys put me in the travel lift and moved the jack stands, i ran around with my roller tray and hit the areas under the stand pads...and then we went into the water...paint was dry.

I did my entire bottom, using 1 full quart and most of the 2nd quart. But I have enough left over to touch up high wear areas next spring.

I would think 4 quarts would cover your 50 footer. you can keep the paint, unopened quarts over the season, so if you prefer to be safe, get 5 or 6 quarts and you can use it next year. Or maybe you can return unopened cans.

FAFDBF26-3A87-4951-929F-5632E3E91CC6.jpeg

Greg

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
I used to budget 6 quarts for my Hunter 44. I would think more like 8 quarts for your 49.

Oh and don't apply it on a windy day. The paint dries really, really fast and the wind will have it drying before you can get it applied. I didn't realize how fast it dried until I used up my 6 quarts and had to buy an additional 2.

As far as I know, any leftover paint would still be good to use the next year as long as it isn't mixed. I have done that in the past without any issues.

Oh and don't step into your paint tray.... that can be a pricey mis-step. Ask me how I know. :banghead:

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Couple of tricks. I would think 4 cans would be more than enough. Use West system foam roller. Big box brand rollers disintegrate quickly. Use 90% alcohol as a solvent (found at CVS for a couple of bucks)
Cut 5-10% when in the roller pan. I regularly use 1-1/2 cans on my 30 footer. Windy days are not necessarily recommended or when temp is below 60. Buy Petit SR21 (West Marine FW 21) for $10-$15 can less. It just went off sale at 39.99/can at WM. It's the same stuff as VC17 and compatible. They have the anti slime additive back in in 2020

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have seen VC in gallon quantities. check wholesale marine or defender.
i use 2 1/2 qts for my 38. Lake Michigan too

get one of those empty condiment bottles they sell in the store and pour your paint in it. Then dribble paint on the roller and roll. Do not put paint in a roller pan. It evaporates very fast.

Some debate on thinning. The cans I have say do not thin. So I don’t. I used to but then somewhere along the line the instructions on the can changed.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have never thinned mine.

Pouring a small amount in a small roller pan (4-6 inches wide) and keep the rest in a sealed jug works well.

I have kept the mixed paint over the season and use it to touch up spots the next year..I do a full coat every other year...touch up on the off year.

Greg

Apr 6, 2004
Hunter 49 Downers Grove, IL
Quick follow up to my earlier post. 4 qts did the trick. Mixed 2 quarts at a time and poured them into a 2 liter bottle that I had poked a hole in the lid. I'd squirt enough into the pan to load up the roller 3-4 times, lather, rinse, repeat. Was lucky to have a light wind, relatively cool (mid 50s) day, started on the shady side, and finished the other side when the sun was low enough to not be an issue. I will say that I panicked, as I was getting down to the wire, was afraid I'd run short, and my chandlery was 10 minutes from closing. So sent my admiral in to but 2 more quarts. Ended up not needing them, and had just enough left for the yard to be able to hit where the pads for the jack stands were, when they launched. And now I have 2 quarts ready for next year. Glad it was on sale!

Thanks for the help/advice/guidance. She went in the water last night, I moved her to the slip today.