furler

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Hello Skippers, I have had jamming under load issues with my Furlex 200s standard issue with my 08 41ds`. Apparently the bearings, balls in the top spinner have flattened and under load becomes very difficult to operate. The balls are available but to rebuild top spinner the furler has to come down. So the question is do I rebuild the Furlex or buy a new one? My rigger who is also a champion sailor really dislikes these units new and wants me to get a Harkin or Profurl. Anything useful you can share would be appreciated. Thanks

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Well the furler is not difficult to bring down for repairs. Whatever the cost of the new bearings would be a fraction of what a new furler would cost! If you got the big bucks laying around doing nothing then the decision is easy! Hundreds of dollars (if that) vs thousands of dollars! Your call!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dakno This might be of interest in your consideration of furlers.

I had a Profurl furler. Age was from the mid 80’s when I bought the boat in 2015. It worked. When I refit my mast in 2016, I had the opportunity to inspect the furler. There were issues with being able to clean and refurbish the units because they are sealed. We had the bearing pressed out. Cleaned the bearings replaced the rusted ones, lubed and pressed the unit back to sealed condition.

Then in 2017 I decided I would replace the Profurler with a Harkin Mark IV. Reason a smooth furler with easy to keep clean Delrin ball bearings. Hose them down. Maybe a bit of dish soap then hose them down. All is good. It was a great upgrade.

Best news came when I was able to sell the profurler to a fellow sailer refitting his mast systems on a budget.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I can get the bearing. very inexpensive. I will price it both ways. Thanks Nodak7, didn't you change to fly batteries for your house ? How is that working out?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Thats fla batteries
Good morning Dakno! Are you speaking of the house batteries? If so yes I did nad it has been a great upgrade to the boat! Just last year I added an external thruster as well! That was a very welcome addition.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I would rebuild the Furlex unit. My prior boat had a Furlex 300 unit as I think the Furlex gear is the best of the bunch. My current boat has a Harken IV unit which has been working fine, but is not anywhere close to the quality of materials used in the Furlex.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
If you decide to buy a new one, no one will beat us on price for a Furlex or Harken furler.