electrical systems crash

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Hi all, This past week we were sheltering in place on the boat 60 miles from home when entire electrical system crashed. My 4.5 yr old three 4d agm's from west marine batteries would not hold any sort of charge. With genset running max charge 12.3v attained and the standard issue 20 amp xantrex started overheating. Finally established that I could let engine idle and the alternator produced just enough power to keep house bats above 12.2 without overheating the xantrex. As soon as the engine was stoped house batts would rapidly drop to 12v or even less. Only fridge, freezer and a few lights on. We had to live like this for 36 hrs awaiting wind shift. Thankfully I had just replaced the start battery. After returning to dock and engaging shore power the xantrex immediately started overheating in spite of batteries reading in the high 13+v because of the 5 hr motor at 2500 rpm.
Apparently the xantrex 20a is way undersized and we are looking at 50amp now. Also figuring on replacing the three 4.8 yr old agm batteries. I am really disappointed in the short life of these pampered batteries. Giving gel's a strong look now. Lithium at $10 per ah just seems crazy Gel's at $3 per ah. I would like to here from any of you that have replaced your system. I really really really don't want to have to crawl around the floor watering batteries. Sealed batts please. Lithium has not been entirely dismissed. Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Only fridge, freezer and a few lights on
That will draw down batteries. Yes the 20a charger is undersized for the battery bank you have.

I'd suggest calling a marine electrician and having a new set of batteries and charging system or do some homework on batteries and charging systems at MaineSails wonderful site. Marine How To - DIY for Boaters
Perhaps it is time to explore Solar as a charging source on your boat.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi all, This past week we were sheltering in place on the boat 60 miles from home when entire electrical system crashed. My 4.5 yr old three 4d agm's from west marine batteries would not hold any sort of charge. With genset running max charge 12.3v attained and the standard issue 20 amp xantrex started overheating. Finally established that I could let engine idle and the alternator produced just enough power to keep house bats above 12.2 without overheating the xantrex. As soon as the engine was stoped house batts would rapidly drop to 12v or even less. Only fridge, freezer and a few lights on. We had to live like this for 36 hrs awaiting wind shift. Thankfully I had just replaced the start battery. After returning to dock and engaging shore power the xantrex immediately started overheating in spite of batteries reading in the high 13+v because of the 5 hr motor at 2500 rpm.
Apparently the xantrex 20a is way undersized and we are looking at 50amp now. Also figuring on replacing the three 4.8 yr old agm batteries. I am really disappointed in the short life of these pampered batteries. Giving gel's a strong look now. Lithium at $10 per ah just seems crazy Gel's at $3 per ah. I would like to here from any of you that have replaced your system. I really really really don't want to have to crawl around the floor watering batteries. Sealed batts please. Lithium has not been entirely dismissed. Thanks
Respectfully,
4.5 years on batteries is about expected.
Please consider going with 6v AGM batteries. It is a wonderful solution.
Very economical
Great life expectancy
You can lift them without a crane.
I HIGHLY reccomend the Magnum Energy 2812 charger /inverter. It simply is the best unit for the money, customer support is great, and it’s more than enough for you.
good luck!!!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
First question would be, what the heck is drawing down your batteries so quickly, overheating your charger/inverter? Sounds to like you may have a battery with a bad/shorted cell. As for charger sizing it is hard to say as you did not mention the Ahr capacity of the bank, but rule of thumb is 10-20% of the banks capacity, a charger which allows you to completely program it for the (3) stages of charging is most important.

What alternator are you running on your ship? Is the regulator internal or external?

Your charger is more like 100 A DC max, the 20 A AC is the rating for the inverter.

I know you made the watering comment, but if you put a watering system on the wet cells (as sold by Trojan) watering is a snap, you can water all bats from a single location easily.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It seems your batteries are toast after 4 1/2 years. Cannot comment on their usage and maintenance but that could be normal useful life. Have them load tested. The resting voltage of a 12V battery fully charged is around 12.7V depending on its type. 12.3 Volts is low and deep drop in the presence of a load points to a bad battery. which one?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
In 2004 I replaced our Heart Interface 1600 with an Xantrex Freedom 25, which I believe is a 50/60 amp charger. Since then have been through one set of two wet 8Ds and currently on two 8D AGMs that I installed in 2012. Very pleased with the performance of our boat's electrical system. Normally keep shore power connected when in its slip. Otherwise, use the Genset every other day to heat water for washing, some cooking and topping off the battery banks. Pretty routine while out on our extended two month plus cruises. I keep both reefers (fridge/freezer) on 24/7. Cold beer very important here.

Without taking a closer look at your setup, best advice would be, as John said, to have a marine electrician help you out. A twenty amp charger does seem too small.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi all, This past week we were sheltering in place on the boat 60 miles from home when entire electrical system crashed. My 4.5 yr old three 4d agm's from west marine batteries would not hold any sort of charge.
First thing to do in a situation like this, when you feel this is not "normal behaviour, is to electrically isolate each battery. Once they are isolated from each other, let them sit for two hours then measure the voltage of each individual battery. If one battery is more than 0.5V lower than the others do not wire it back into the remaining bank electrically.

How are you measuring your Ah usage and SoC? The bottom line is that under normal usage your bank should not dip below 12.1 to 12.2V, under normal house loads. When you see the volts hit 12.2V it is time to start recharging.

With genset running max charge 12.3v attained
It sounds like you may have let the batteries get below 12.1-12.2V.

and the standard issue 20 amp xantrex started overheating.
A 20A charger on a 598Ah bank is grossly undersized. AGM batteries benefit, cycle life wise, from high rate charging. It is one of the puzzle pieces that help get longer life. Even at face value, with no loads on, your effective charge rate is just 3.3% of the battery bank Ah capacity. With vessel loads on, such as fridge etc., lets call this 8A, you're looking at about 0.02C or just 2% of Ah capacity. This really does not even quality as charging more like trickle charging. The bare minimum charger for any boat, even with flooded batteries, is typically 0.1C or 10% of Ah capacity after system dock-side loads are subtracted. A bank like yours really deserves a large inverter/charger or two chargers in parallel of 120A +. This still only gets you to a .2C charge (20% of Ah capacity) but is still much better.

Finally established that I could let engine idle and the alternator produced just enough power to keep house bats above 12.2 without overheating the xantrex.
This is a recipe for also burning up a factory alternator. At low idle speed we also have low RPM which means low fan speed on the alternator. idle speed into large banks is one of the number one causes of heat related failures in marine alternators. You would be best served to add an external regulator that can temp protect that alternator.

As soon as the engine was stoped house batts would rapidly drop to 12v or even less.
There are only two scenarios here:

#1 You have a battery that has failed internally
#2 You grossly over-discharged the bank

Only fridge, freezer and a few lights on.
We have many boats that are pulling 15A +/- between the fridge and freezer alone. Add lighting etc. and you've got quite a draw. Without a battery monitor your essentially shooting darts blindfolded.

We had to live like this for 36 hrs awaiting wind shift. Thankfully I had just replaced the start battery.
Events like this are why you will always hear me suggesting using a large deep-cycle battery as a "start/reserve" bank as opposed to just a starting battery. At some point you may need to rely on that battery as the 12V DC energy source for the entire vessel.

After returning to dock and engaging shore power the xantrex immediately started overheating in spite of batteries reading in the high 13+v because of the 5 hr motor at 2500 rpm.
FDLFBX (Friends don't let friends by Xantrex.) (wink)

Apparently the xantrex 20a is way undersized and we are looking at 50amp now.
Grossly udnersized and not a quality charger either. It should not be overheating putting out its rated charge current. A 50A charger is also very much undersized for a 598Ah bank of AGM batteries. A 60A charger would geet you to 0.1C but for AGM this is still small. AGM batteries benefit from high rate charging.

Also figuring on replacing the three 4.8 yr old agm batteries. I am really disappointed in the short life of these pampered batteries.
If you've been routinely discharging them below 12.1 to 12.2V, before you start recharging, they have not been pampered. Using a 20A charger on 598Ah's of AGM also means they have not been pampered. Using a stock alternator on them, if you still have the factory alternator, also means they have not been pampered.The WM/East Penn AGM's are also not a deep cycle AGM battery. They are a dual purpose battery. We would never install these as house bank batteries when there are far superior AGM choices out there. See the May and August 2015 issues of Practical Sailor for more information on how poorly these batteries perform against premium AGM batteries.

Giving gel's a strong look now.
The East Penn gels are excellent, rated by East Penn at 1000 cycles, but will require all charge sources be temp compensated and custom programmable. They should not be used with a stock alternator. When charged correctly they can easily last 8-10 years or more. When charged incorrectly they can be destroyed in a few months.

Lithium at $10 per ah just seems crazy Gel's at $3 per ah. I would like to here from any of you that have replaced your system. I really really really don't want to have to crawl around the floor watering batteries. Sealed batts please. Lithium has not been entirely dismissed. Thanks
LiFePO4 and GEL batteries are not at all "drop-in" they require a full system approach to make them last. This means new charger, inverter/charge, alternator, regulator, solar controllers etc.. AGM's are not "drop-in" either and they to do best when installed using a system approach.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I bet those batteries didn’t just suddennly die. They were on lfe support a long time and the indications weren't paid attention to.

Besides new batteries and new charger up to the task, someone needs to spend some time reading up.

Feb 6, 1998
I bet those batteries didn’t just suddennly die. They were on lfe support a long time and the indications weren't paid attention to.

Besides new batteries and new charger up to the task, someone needs to spend some time reading up.
You seem to be correct....

I was trying to look for information on dakno's charger, as many Hunters of that size came with an I/C, and I stumbled across a post from Dec 23 of 2018..

From Dec 23, 2018
Is getting close to the time for new house batteries. I am currently on the second set of 3 4D AGM 192ah each batteries. This is what came with the boat as new from Hunter.
Thanks

Feb 6, 1998
@Maine Sail have the same Hunter if all is the same it would be a Xantrex Freedom 20 stated output for the charger is 100 amps max
That is typically what we are used to seeing on those boats and it is an inverter / charger 2000W invert and 100A charge... That said, lots can change from owner to owner and while some of these old Freedom's seem to last forever some are dead in two years, especially after Xantrex took over so it may be possible dakno actually does have a 20A charger?

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Thanks all, enlightening, Daydreamer and Mainesail. I do have the original from Hunter xantrax freedom 20 which book states that it has a 20amp charger and 2000w inverter. Is it 20 amps or 100 amps as stated by others? Best I can tell these boats came with one 4d agm... the other 2 were either options or additions but all three are professionally installed. Artboas..what 6v AGM's did you choose? Also I have a email sent to Marine How to about charger and house batts.?? Thanks, I am feeling better for a minute

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The "listed" face charge capacity of the normal inverter chargers is really overstated typically. That for the Xantrex, Maxtervolts, etc.. They generate internal heat and won't maintain their continuous output. (e.g. a 130 Amp Xantrex used to put-out actually on 65 Amps; and my current 200 Amp Mastervolt puts out about 130 amps continuously. They start-out a close to the "face" amount, then after a few minutes they cycle down "to protect themselves".

Dakno, your current Xantrex should do the same. My guess: If it's not cycling down to protect itself, either it has a problem, it's installed in place where it gets way too little ventilation, or you have battery (or batteries) which have an internal short.

Feb 6, 1998
Thanks all, enlightening, Daydreamer and Mainesail. I do have the original from Hunter xantrax freedom 20 which book states that it has a 20amp charger and 2000w inverter. Is it 20 amps or 100 amps as stated by others? Best I can tell these boats came with one 4d agm... the other 2 were either options or additions but all three are professionally installed. Artboas..what 6v AGM's did you choose? Also I have a email sent to Marine How to about charger and house batts.?? Thanks, I am feeling better for a minute
Your inverter charger has a 100A charger. Your batteries are not made by West Marine they are made by East Penn and West Marine slaps a sticker on them and then charges an insane mark up beyond numerous competitors selling the identical battery with a less expensive sticker.. The batteries, if they are indeed 4D AGM's, are the same exact battery as the Deka 8A4D.

That said I would not use these batteries for a deep-cycling bank. They are not a deep cycle battery and at least West Marine is honest about this. They better be for that kind of mark up! They are just not a quality AGM product when compared to brands such as Odyssey (TPPL AGM), Northstar (TPPL AGM), Firefly (Carbon Foam AGM) or Lifeline (deep-cycling AGM). 6V AGM's will be lighter and easier to move than a 4D but unless you go with a quality brand AGM, the cycle life will be the same as your East Penn 8A4D....

The East Penn AGM's make good starting batteries but they just do not hold up to cycling absuse the way East Penn's GEL batteries do or other competitors AGM's do.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have the Freedom 20 and its output is 100 DC Amps and I have verified that.

On my Hunter 430, the 100 DC Amps goes to a Selector Switch. Positions are...

OFF, 1, 2, BOTH

That direct the 100 DC Amps to the HOUSE BATTERIES numbered 1 and 2 or BOTH to charged.

In addition, If you lost total power the

Freedom 20 defaults to factory settings and must be set up again to charge different battery types.
You must set it up to do AGM versus Wet Cells.
Also the shore power Amp input to 30 Amp or 50 Amp AC.

I am not sure about @dakno set up, but my Start Battery is only charged by my Genset or Engine Alternators.

I feel that there is confusion on what the Freedom 20 is supposed to do.

My Genset outputs 9KW of 120 VAC and supplies the Freedom 20 when no shore power is detected.
The Freedom 20 has an Automatic switch [internal] that decides Shore or Genset power as the input.

Jim...

PS: Since @dakno is a neighbor, you can PM me and we can talk by phone.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A battery bank 4 1/2 years old under perhaps heavy usage or lean maintenance will have lost it's full capacity to store Amps. The batteries will decline at a more or less even rate until one goes bad or weaker and the remaining batteries are unable to carry it. Disconnect all the batteries in the bank and check each for their resting voltage; from what you are describing there should be one battery that should be reading 1 or 2 volts less than the others. Connect and recharge the rest and then repeat the independent voltage readings to see if there is a 2nd weaker battery.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I don't understand how having a charger rated for 100 Amps does any good powered by a circuit rated for 30.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I don't understand how having a charger rated for 100 Amps does any good powered by a circuit rated for 30.
100 Amps @12VDC powered by 120 VAC @30 AMPs Look up Ohms law, there are some losses thru the transformer