Northern Lights Generator on 2000 Hunter 410

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
I recently acquired a 2000 Hunter 410 with a 4 cylinder Yanmar 4JH2E and a 3 cylinder Northern Lights Generator. I believe the generator may have come from Hunter in the first place. Does anyone know what model would have come on my boat?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Does anyone know what model would have come on my boat?
John
Congrats on the acquisition of your new to you boat. While not always, many times the boat "options" those items that bling out our boats are dealer add on's and not OEM items.

Supporting this disappointing news is a random sampling of the Hunter 410's that are offered for sale on Yacht World. Examining the "Full Specifications" I found the following reported.
  • 1998 Hunter 410 Northrern Lights generator (45 hrs)
  • 1999 Hunter 410 Generator: Honda 2KW ( 2015 )
  • 2001 Hunter 410 None
  • 2001 Hunter 410 None
  • 2000 Hunter 410 None
Not sure what you are seeking with your question. If it is "What are the OEM parts I need to bring my boat back to show room condition" then a generator of any model or type might be in order. Noting that when the boat left the factory it likely did not have an installed generator. installing one might give you enhanced boating pleasure. I would look for one that met criteria like:
  1. A reputable marine qualified brand.
  2. Installed to ABYC Standards
  3. uses a fuel source on the boat. ie. diesel
  4. provided the level of power required to meet usage needs.
Good luck with your new boat.

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
The 410 that I purchased came with a 3 cylinder Northern Lights 6 KW 120 VAC Generator with 543 hours. The problem is that I do not yet know the model that it is and I am trying to get spare parts. I believe it may have come from the factory.

Oct 22, 2014
It can be a challenge. You will need the model number to get the "exact parts" to fit your generator.

Here is a listing of the Northern Lights generators.

What parts do you think your need?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The 410 that I purchased came with a 3 cylinder Northern Lights 6 KW 120 VAC Generator with 543 hours. The problem is that I do not yet know the model that it is and I am trying to get spare parts. I believe it may have come from the factory.
John
Hunter didn’t use Northern Lights.
They usually installed Fischer panda, and on some of the H50 CC went with (I believe) Mastervolt.
So, you’ll need to deal with NL for your issues.
Good luck.

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
Well, for whatever it is worth, I posed this question on the Marlow-Hunter website. I did get a reply. The reply went into depth concerning the fact that Hunter Marine went bankrupt and that Marlow-Hunter is not responsible for anything that happened as far as Hunter Marine customers are concerned. Their reply would certainly not encourage me to do business with them. However, they did send me a PDF that they had in their Hunter Marine Archives which was an owner's manual for a Northern Lights Generator which certainly looks like what is on my 410. The date appears to be 8/03. The models covered by the PDF are M673M,M673D, and M673L.

Oct 22, 2014
If you check out the link to Northern Lights in message #4 you’ll see a list of manuals for the Northern Lights equipment.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Someplace on your generator you should find a plate that has the model and serial number which will provide you with the info you need.

• Helpful
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I do believe a sailor with around 2004 356 does have a Northern lights in his boat and my
2007 H-36 has FP from factory and at a boat show I saw a Next Gen in a new Hunter.
But different size boats all have different size Gen in them and so look for some kind of
# on it or like said go on NL info.
Nick

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
I found an owner's manual for the generator. The manual is for M643 or M673. It is practically impossible to see the side of the generator where the serial number is supposed to be, but I am asking the boat yard to verify what I have and provide me with spare parts. The boat yard I am using is an authorized Northern Lights Dealer.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Can you read it with a mirror or a borescope? I have also gotten hard to read numbers by holding my cell phone down there and shooting a pic. usually takes several trys so I just point and start snapping with little moves between each.