Looking for a cruising spinnaker for a Hunter 33 ('05)

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
I am looking for a used cruising spinnaker for my H33. Can be symmetrical or asymmetrical (I have a "Handler" so can fly a chute without a pole).

Anyone have one they aren't using?

Cheers,

MD

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I am not sure what a "handler" is, but as I said in a nearby post if I were buying again, I go with a symmetric rather than asymmetric, the reason being that my experience when running deep the asym eventually wraps itself around the forestay and is a bear to get down. I never had that problem with many years of symmetric use.

If you have a sprit that gets the asym out ahead of the forestay, then I'd go with the asym, especially if you upsize it for the larger foretriangle.

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
The Handler is a device that is essentially a sleeve that slides on the furled headsail. The tack is attached to the Handler (it basically replaces a bowsprit). You use it to fly a symmetrical spinnaker like an asymmetrical. I did a bit of research and found one that is called the Tacker (by a company called ATN). I used it before on my Mirage 29 and it worked great. Just need to find a sail for it now...

I am not sure what a "handler" is, but as I said in a nearby post if I were buying again, I go with a symmetric rather than asymmetric, the reason being that my experience when running deep the asym eventually wraps itself around the forestay and is a bear to get down. I never had that problem with many years of symmetric use.

If you have a sprit that gets the asym out ahead of the forestay, then I'd go with the asym, especially if you upsize it for the larger foretriangle.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
The Handler is a device that is essentially a sleeve that slides on the furled headsail. The tack is attached to the Handler (it basically replaces a bowsprit). You use it to fly a symmetrical spinnaker like an asymmetrical. I did a bit of research and found one that is called the Tacker (by a company called ATN). I used it before on my Mirage 29 and it worked great. Just need to find a sail for it now...
OK, we have a Tacker that we use with our cruising chute, works fine although it makes it even easier to wrap the chute around he forestay as it keeps the tack right on the forestay even when the wind is dead aft...

A cruising spinnaker is an asymmetrical by another name. If you are considering buying a symmetrical you would need to invest in a pole, mast track, topping lift...etc., which is what I wish I had done. rather than buying the cruising spinnaker, Tacker, sleeve, etc. If you fly a symmetyrical spinnake off a Tacker, the sail will be pretty useless off the wind as no air will get into it. It will do little if it fills at all. You need a spinnaker pole to put the spinnaker tack and luff the distance of your J measure out into the breeze...say 12 feet or so in your case.

Cruising chute = asymmetrical