New flooring suggestions

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I don't have a workshop with multitudes of tools anymore! I just have my garage floor for doing simple projects. I think I am going to seek a craftsman with a real shop for this little project!
If your sole is out, I suspect a wood worker might be able to use the sole as a template to trim on oversized new piece down to the exact duplicate with a routing trimmer bit. And also cut the exact cut outs and access panels with the same system.

You'll never cut plywood cleanly enough with a sabre saw that will come close to the finish a trimmer bit could do.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Assuming the existing pieces can be used for the template I would also vote for a router and a template guide or even a flush cut bearing bit. It will do all parts cleanly with a minimal amount of time. Easily done and you don’t need to worry about corner radius or wandering blades.
1/4” would likely work fine but you may need to reinforce the backs of the bilge covers.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Assuming the existing pieces can be used for the template I would also vote for a router and a template guide or even a flush cut bearing bit. It will do all parts cleanly with a minimal amount of time. Easily done and you don’t need to worry about corner radius or wandering blades.
1/4” would likely work fine but you may need to reinforce the backs of the bilge covers.
I think Scott had decided to go to a professional, and that seems like a good idea if he is at all concerned about doing it. A router etc. is a step or two up in expense from the jigsaw that almost everyone already has, and it is 2 or 3 steps up in terms of skill level. Lovely job or horrible job with a router, nowt in between.

BTW Scott, I would use my garage floor for that job in any case.

Bob

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
BTW Scott, I would use my garage floor for that job in any case.
Not I. I'd use the garage floor to build a couple of saw horses, then do the work standing up. But a professional is a good idea if you just want the job done.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Not I. I'd use the garage floor to build a couple of saw horses, then do the work standing up. But a professional is a good idea if you just want the job done.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I like to be above a jigsaw job. I use 2x8s or 2x10s flat on a concrete floor and plan my cuts no more than 2 foot at a time. Reposition boards and cut again. Less easy with quarter inch ply, but half inch is well strong enough for you to crawl around on.

Once again, patience is the essence. The slower you go the faster it is done. With a job like the one we are discussing, going as slow as you like it would still take less time than you would spend going to the professional twice. Not to mention the extra trips once you find that he's only as professional as a six month training course and a lot of expensive equipment can make him. Joiners these days don't leave school at age 12 like my great uncle Charles Franks and spend 8 years before they get their master's papers.

Bob

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Joiners these days
They still use that term? Huh!
I don't disagree with you. You have to do the research. Professional doesn't really mean skill and quality. Amateur actually means, "out of love." Neither is a guarantee of quality, but either could produce the best workmanship around.
I want the pro who also does it out of love.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Scott I replaced cabin sole, ripped out old & had carpenter make cuts with bevel, I posted photos of job, still had to sand, scrape, push swear at and install finish pieces, very doable job, very happy with results 5 years later floor looks brand new, great upgrade for my 32 year old boat. Good luck!

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
I just make the entire floor one big lift panel, as I do with bunk tops( with a hinge along the outside) . That lets me tie the entire top down in rough weather at sea. No better access to the space under them.
Had a fancy hardwood step; for a while. More maintenance than an entire floor of linoleum, which is made for full time traffic.
I'm looking for green battle ship linoleum, for my next floor covering.