Wheel size for O’Day 28

Aug 9, 2019
O’Day 28 Titusville, FL
I have a 28 inch wheel on my O’Day 28 that makes it difficult to get around it. What size is appropriate for this boat?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
If you shrink the wheel, steering would be more difficult. based on your perception of steering effort in a blow, you could easily estimate what a smaller wheel would do. Some folks like folding wheels. Some remove them when not steering. We just put up with ours.

Ken

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I think the wheel on my 28ft Beneteau is 32 inch. It really gets in the way, but I think even a much smaller wheel would still be in the way. If I really need the room I just get out the wrench and remove it. A folding wheel would be great, but I would rather spend the money on the next boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
28" sounds about right for a 28' boat. Any smaller and you won't have the leverage necessary to steer easily and it will be a long reach if you are sitting on seats or coaming.

One downside of a wheel, is getting around it in the cockpit. At the dock when we have guests, we'll take the wheel off as we will do when working on the boat.

It is tempting to take the wheel off when anchored, however, if the anchor drags or the boat needs to be moved quickly, getting the wheel back on will add to the confusion of moving the boat.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Our 28' has a T cockpit and 32" wheel. That diameter would be too large if it weren't a T shaped cockpit.