Holes in keel

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a shoal keel that's 4-6' long. I had to do repairs last year after water froze and cracked the outer casing. How many holes would you recommend drilling to allow any potential water to drain out?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a difficult question to answer.
Do you believe you have water in the keel again, after you did the repairs?

In a normal condition there should not be any water in the keel.

If you think there is water then you want to drill a hole in the lowest point of the keel. Water will drain down.

Then this winter you want to inspect the keel and close all possible places where you think water if entering the keel. I would even go so far as to try and attach a vacuum pump to the bottom hole in the keel to suck water, as much water out as possible. This may take time.

Once closed up and water removed, then sealing the hole in the bottom should prevent any further damage. That is unless you take the boat out next year and use the keel to search for submerged rocks.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Last winter some water got in and cracked the outer shell. I believe I found and sealed the leak in the bilge but I have not tested. I drilled one hole a couple of weeks ago and did not see any water coming out at that time so I don't think there's water in there but that's merely a guess. I'd rather fill in a few small holes than repair a crack

Since the keel is so long there's a lot of places that could be considered the lowest point. I was thinking 2-3 small holes per side (fore, mid, aft). Thoughts/opinions?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That sound do able. Not much to repair. Still you might attach a vacuum pump (like a fish tank pump) to the holes and see if you suck any moisture out.