Rudder replacement 93' Legend 37.5

hj5150

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter Legend 37.5 Longmont, CO.
List,

Just purchased a ’93 legend 37.5 and the survey suggested either rudder repair or replacement due to de lamination. I’m pretty sure it’s the original rudder, and a new replacement one is going for approx. $2400, so we'll probable replace it rather that repair. While I have never done a rudder replacement, I am pretty mechanically inclined and not afraid of the challenge. The boat is on the hard, but I’m wondering if there is enough clearance to drop the rudder or am I going to have to dig a hole or rent a lift? Anyone ever tackle this? Any tricks or things to look out for to assist me in this job?

Thanks,
HJ

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
IMG_6435.jpg
IMG_6438.jpg

this is how we did it. dig a hole. use winches and line to lower/raise rudder.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's how it's usually done around here. You could pay the man to lift the boat with the travel lift but I don't know very many guys who do that.

hj5150

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter Legend 37.5 Longmont, CO.
Thank you for the replies. Question, how deep of a hole? The boat currently sits on it's trailer and it's quite a bit off the ground. By the photos, can anyone let me know if it appears that there's enough ground clearance, or does anyone the length of the shaft? Thanks once again!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@hj5150 in carpenter school they teach measure twice cut once. With a rudder dig, I think you might want to measure the length of the rudder shaft in the boat (and add a foot in case your ruler is wrong). Only thinking if the hole is a bit short it would be more difficult to add a foot to the bottom with the rudder in the hole. Pretty sure it would be unpleasant to lower the rudder only to have to raise the rudder to dig deeper.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
You have a trailer so that changes things. let tung down to ground use your car jack and go all way down. Now measure distance should be less of a hole needed. Now run a strap or line under rudder to control fall and use winches to pull back up

May 18, 2017
Hunter 35 New Orleans
I have done this exact job on my legend 35.5. I dug plenty deep, but when I lowered the rudder, I found it needed another few inches. So I lifted it up, dug a little more, and got success. Also note that not only do you need deep, the hole has to be wide enough in one direction to allow tilting the rudder over to then get the rudder out of the hole.

these rudders are not light. You will need a block above the rudder post to lower and raise with a line. I cut a piece of threaded rod to length equal the diameter of the post, then put two nuts in the middle of that threaded rod. I tucked that down the center of the post and let each end nest into the post bolt hole. Run the nuts against the ID of the post to hold it into position. Now you have something to tie a rope to.

i spoke directly to Foss rudder owner (2nd generation). He told me that Hunter rudders had carbon steel frames inside the rudder welded to the stainless steel post. In my case the rudder was splitting along the seam and a significant amount of very rusty water was draining out. We discussed sending the rudder back to Foss and they would rebuild it, using the original rudder post. However once you consider shipping and transport preparation, it makes brand new the easy choice. Brand new will be 100% stainless steel inside. Foss will ship it to you with the rudder post extra long and NO HOLE DRILLED so you can make this exactly like the original (no two exactly alike).

i did all the work myself, which surprised Foss. Especially when I had it shipped to me instead of the boat yard. I wanted it at my place to allow me to cut the post to length and to drill the hole for the quadrant bolt. Don’t underestimate the work involved, the post is pretty stout stainless steel and you will not drill this with your typical battery drill. Cobalt drills are a must. I measured about a dozen times to make sure it was the exact place and perfectly square in both directions. I recommend drill one side side and then mount the quadrant sticking the bolt into the one hole. Then use the other side of the quadrant as a drill guide to mark the hole. Remove the quadrant to actually drill the hole so you don’t harm the quadrant hole.

Apr 23, 2007
- - Chicago
My 94 37.5 has had a few bubbles on one side for 12 years now. Those delaminations were called out by surveyor too but rudder is solid. I’ve had broken cables but rudder is fine and I used to race all the time so lots of hard use....

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
after our rudder repair, we find that the boat pulls to port while underway on engine power. anyone else experienced this? should the rudder be mostly balanced? (two bladed prop)