Folding Prop for Oc 351

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailrj

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 351 0 Aurora, KY
My fixed 3 blade prop on our 1996 Oc 351 has some chuncks missing and a little vibration. Looking at a folding prop to help with backing into our slip and over all performance when using the engine. Does anyone have a recommendation of a folding prop for a 351 and know the shaft diameter??

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
While I don't have a specific recommendation, I have heard the Max-Prop (a feathering prop) does significantly reduce prop walk in reverse on boats like ours. A folding/feathering prop is a "nice to have" item and based on my research, we will likely go with the Max-Prop when the time comes to replace our existing fixed three-blade.

A google search for either folding prop or feathering prop will return a number of discussion threads on the subject.

Keep in mind that all of these props have moving parts and introduce another maintenance item. Up here, in the frozen northlands, we pull our boats at the end of every sailing season so the additional maintenance isn't an issue. Not sure what impact it would have for you.

Just curious . . . your prop has chunks missing??? Regular impacts on a folding/feathering prop will likely take a blade off one of these mechanical props.

And I have been told that we have a 25mm shaft.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I installed a 2 blade Gori last year, it definitely gives me more reverse "bite" but due to the basic laws of physics , it does not eliminate prop walk. The prop does not completely eliminate inherent hull vibration, but it helps. I suspect a three blade prop would be better.

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Last year I installed an VariFold prop and all I can say is it is amazing....yes they do cost a lot of money but the control over the boat is worth it. NO prop walk at all.

sailrj

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 351 0 Aurora, KY
Thanks to all for the info. Don't see anyone recommending to stay with a fixed 3 blade. I've requested quotes from several manuufacturers. Any advise on a feathering prop to stay away from?

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Personally I found the drag and vibration from the fixed prop to be very annoying.
No regrets with the feathering.

Good luck with your decision

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I have a kiwi on a 343. It moves the boat 0.5 to 0.7 knots slower than the factory 3 blade but sails at least that much faster. Depends on whether you motor or sail more. Kiwi does require greasing at least once/yr and will lose reverse when not greased.
Autoprops are popular as are new flexifolds. All are spendy but kiwi less than most.
It is easy to change out in the water.

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
Love my kiwi prop. Did not lose any boat speed under motor and gained between 0.5 and 1 knots when sailing in light winds. No vibration when leaving engine in neutral is nice as well. The composite blades have held up great and knowing that I can replace a blade at a time if it should get dinged is great for peace of mind as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.