Electric potties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
- - DFW
I have a Beneteau 31 with the Jabsco twist lock compact head, and am thinking about switching to an electric head. Any body do it? What's the verdict? Any products that will install in the same space with the same footprint?

Jun 28, 2009
beneteau 31 southern california
I have the same boat and went with the Jabsco compact electric saltwater head...only thing to be mindful of is how frustrating it is at anchor when the batteries start to get low and flushing is dicey...its loud as sin too - if I had to do it over again I'd go fresh-water flush (sigh).

Sep 9, 2011
Catalina 320 Alameda
Yes - changing to the electric is worth the time and money. Some may want to pump by hand, but my wife, my sister-in-law, and my daughter-in-law all find it much more pleasing to push a button. A pointy pump handle that jabs you in the thigh is not a pleasant feeling. We like our electric ................ PS, it's not a Jabsco. YMMV, Pat

Jun 4, 2004
- - DFW
Yes - changing to the electric is worth the time and money. Some may want to pump by hand, but my wife, my sister-in-law, and my daughter-in-law all find it much more pleasing to push a button. A pointy pump handle that jabs you in the thigh is not a pleasant feeling. We like our electric ................ PS, it's not a Jabsco. YMMV, Pat
And the "not a Jabsco" is__________________________?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I have the jabsco electric that I installed myself. Works fine and does what it is supposed to do. Im not sure what all the harping on the jabsco's are all about.
BTW, they use 16A of juice but at 30 seconds (2 flushes per hour at 15seconds each), thats only .13Ah. In a 10 hour day, that's only 1.3 AmpHours!
Don't think the wife would've taken too kind to pumping.

Last edited:

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
I have a Vacu-flush that I'm happy with - guests clearly prefer it. It's served me well for over a decade - energy use was never a concern.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I recently changed by Jabsco with a Raritan Sea Era. Check dims but the Sea Era offers mounting possibilities as the pump/macerator can be rotated. I went with sea water flush for a few reasons but if could have would definitely go with fresh water if you can.

Sep 9, 2011
Catalina 320 Alameda
And the "not a Jabsco" is__________________________?
Search Peggie Hall's discussions and you'll find good information on electric heads. She suggests the Raritan Sea Era is good value and we agree. She recommends against the electric Raritan Compact II. Pat

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I installed a Sea Era when we first took delivery in 06. Fresh water supply. I put a SPDT switch inline for the pressure water so we can put water in an empty bowl, dry flush, or leave it on automatic. Not the quietest flusher but the fresh water pump is probably louder in the cabin than the head.
Just epoxied up the screw holes for the Jabsco that came in the boat. Will cover the discharge hole one of these years.
We had 1-1/2 discharge hose from factory but you could use 1" which would reduce flush time to clear line.
Vacuflush was also considered.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 361 Seattle
I switched to a a Raritan Sea Era in my 361 per Peggy's recommendation. Mine is sea water and not the quietist thing on the planet, but works well. Fit the old space fine and it covered all but 1 of the original Jabsco holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.