need a charger and monitor

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We just bought a H356 that needed batteries. We picked up 4, 105, AGM's at Sam's, but now our old 30Amp charger over heats and shuts down. I am running on a 40 amp portable charger now.

Vessel does not have a battery monitor so I would like to add one of those too, suggestions ?

What is the best value in a battery charger today and how big should it be ? I have heard good and bad about all of them I think.

I have 3 batteries as the house bank, with a new echo charger feeding the 4th as the starting battery. There is a 55 amp alternator on the Yanmar with a #8 wire on the output running direct to the positive on house bank. There is also a smaller red wire from the Yanmar loom also going to the alternator output, appears to go to the starter solenoid, should that be disconnected ?

We have a 3.5Kw generator on board, and intend to add solar panels next fall.

Boat will be used as winter home for 5 months of the year down south. Most cabin lights are LED's, anchor light has not been converted yet but we have it on board ready to install.

Off season it will be stored on the hard with power.

suggestions appreciated, Bob

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
I have a motorcycle that used to leave me stranded all the time.

Last year I switched to Odyssey battery

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/index.htm

& this to monitor it

http://www.powerwerx.com/digital-meters/argus-BB-SBM12-PS-battery-bug-battery-monitor-motorcycle-atv.html

I will be putting this monitor on my starting battery in my diesel boat. This monitor will tell you before you turn off the engine, if it will restart again. Seems like that is a good thing to know when out sailing.

I did not go with odyssey batteries, but I should have. My business is next door to an auto parts store, so I bought what was on sale.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I agree with the Victron BMV-600 as a battery monitor. As for the charger it is hard to beat the Sterling Pro-Charge Ultra. Your alternator is an issue waiting to happen and you may want to consider that too...

Sterling Pro-Charge Ultra Charger

May 16, 2007
thanks,for all the reply's.....
I'll check out the Sterling Chargers, I've never seen them for sale, have to google one up !
Bob

Bob846

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau 423 Long Beach/Los Angeles
Bob, it sounds like you have addressed the shorepower charging regime using a new smart charger. However, what about the Yanmar alternator/regulator. Is this a fixed voltage regulator? If so, what is the charging voltage and is it compatible with your new AGMs? What if the house bank is depleted to 50%...will the alternator overheat trying recharge the house bank? The problem is that AGM's accept a charge much faster than lead acid batteries thus put a much greater strain on charging equipment. That's why your older 30amp charger overheated. The same thing may happen to the alternator unless it is regulated by a smart regulator. Just something to be aware of.
Best of luck...Bob E.

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
I have a Xantrex Link battery monitor, which I have found very useful (a search will find plenty of links). Aside from voltage, it shows drain/charging state. It works great to show the output of the solar panel/wind generator/alternator/shore power charger as well as a tool to see what is using how much power, and how much time to 50% discharge is remaining at current power drain. It's programmable and there are tools available for tweaking it to your particular installation, which I did some of without additional tools (program Ah, warning, time interval for usage, etc). I just love the little thing :)

They also have a smart charger with the option to hook up a temperature gauge attached to the battery providing feedback to the charger for optimal charging when using shore power. I had one, unfortunately it died after a few years, and have replaced it with a smart charger with less feedback, as I found that while cruising the wind generator and solar panel were generally sufficient to charge the batteries, and at shore power a more conservative smart charger was plenty. The only time the output power was really a concern was when at dock, arriving with batteries relatively discharged, with limited time to re-charge, which really didn't occur much. Your situation with a generator might be different.

One big drain under sail was the nav lights, I've replaced those with LEDs as well. The biggest power savings I got from adding more insulation to the 12V fridge.

May 16, 2007
Bob, it sounds like you have addressed the shorepower charging regime using a new smart charger. However, what about the Yanmar alternator/regulator. Is this a fixed voltage regulator? If so, what is the charging voltage and is it compatible with your new AGMs? What if the house bank is depleted to 50%...will the alternator overheat trying recharge the house bank? The problem is that AGM's accept a charge much faster than lead acid batteries thus put a much greater strain on charging equipment. That's why your older 30amp charger overheated. The same thing may happen to the alternator unless it is regulated by a smart regulator. Just something to be aware of.
Best of luck...Bob E.
those are good points I had not considered. I have the stock alternator and regulator. I may have to change that if these batteries cause a problem with the alternator.
thanks for the information, Bob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bob,

If you have a small alternator and a large AGM bank that's depleted, it doesn't matter whether you have an internal or external regulator.

In BOTH cases, your alternator will be "undersized" for the in rush current that AGMs will provide.

Get a bigger alternator. Or don't deplete your house bank so much.

Those are the tradeoffs.

The real issue is that you have to look at it as an electrical SYSTEM, not just the bits and pieces.

May 16, 2007
Stu, thanks, I'm now looking at battery chargers, monitors and alternators ! always good advice, makes a lot of sense.
Bob