1984 Newport 27 odor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmwac

Apr 22, 2011
Catalina 30 Watkins Glen
Hi Peggy: I bought a 1984 Newport 27SII last fall, and have been hard at work ever since. My wife won't go near the thing.... her sniffer is way too sensitive for a night on board. I have do something, or I'll have to get rid of the boat.... probably at a loss. My own fault... "it wasn't expensive" I told myself.... My tale of woe is probably not unlike most others. I had a persistent head odor, as well as a petrochemical odor coming from beneath the companionway. I do not think it is raw diesel. Here is what I have done to date.... I first placed a half dozen deck plates of various diameters to allow me to get into the pretty large amount of inaccessible area between inner and outer hull. FO installed a new Jabsco Head unit. I pulled the entire sanitation system, removed the overboard dump system, replaced all hose including the vent hose with ODOR-SAFE. Completely cleaned the holding tank. No help at all. The smell was part of the boat..... On to the next level. I devised a rinse hose made from 1/2 OD clear tubing, with a garden hose bib on one end, and a wooden plug at the other end. In the last 6" of hose length I punched a series of holes. This hose is 6' long, and can be snaked all through the inaccessible areas. I found a dryer vent cleaning brush with a 4" dia brush head, and a 4' long wire handle, in addition to the usual scrub brushes. I have a cheap garden sprayer with a 24" wand; with this I shot a mixture of Purple Power, Clorox, and Dawn Detergent (got that formula from a Maine lobsterman) into every nook and cranny in the cabin, paying special attention to the sump and "tunnel" areas under the sole. The holding tank compartment, minus the holding tank, was filthy with pooh goo. After letting the cleaning mixture sit awhile, I hit it with the brush, and then rinsed. Incredible filth poured forth into the bilge... and out onto the pavement overboard! After letting the boat air dry, I notice a major decrease in the head odor, but I can still make it out in the WOOD of the head area, and inside of all of the holds and hanging locker that do not have a gelcoat finish. My intention is to paint all of these rough fiberglass surfaces with something like BILGEKOTE to try to seal them. I'm sure that will help. But I can see that this war is fought on every front. What do you recommend for trying to deodorize the wood? I bought a product called MagicZymes, and have sprayed it on all of the newly cleaned and scrubbed surfaces. The wood has always been treated with Liquid Gold oil. No real help. I'm now aware of Pure Ayre (and your book, which is on it's way to me as I write). So I think I'm gaining on the head odor. I wonder if I also need to change out the original head sink drain too?
On the petro smell.... I'm a little more worried. The diesel tank is one well-buried tank! There is a quarterdeck plywood platform in the cockpit (used for a quarterberth on the N27's sister design) that I have added a deck plate to, and this will give me much improved access to the tank area, but I'm unsure as how to determine if a leak is present. There is a SLIGHT oil slick in the bilge water.... I do know that a FO had an oil change spill once upon a time. Now I have to figure out how to get in and about the diesel tank area to clean up. Jeez.... CAN I ever clean it up? One other detail.... In my zeal to obtain breathable air in the boat, I reverse-engineered the product called CLEAR-AIR, a fan powered ventilation system that runs vacuum hoses to smelly areas for evacuation outside. So.... I have a 1.25" vacuum line running thru the bilge up to the holding tank compartment, and another 1.25" vacuum line stuck down into the diesel tank area. A final 1.25" vacuum line serves the engine compartment beneath the cockpit. ( BTW: I thoroughly cleaned the engine as well as the entire compartment.) These vacuum lines collect in a manifold that enters a 125 cfm FANTEC centrifugal fan. The outlet is through a 3.5" cockpit vent that exits from a convenient piece of TEAK trim, so I had to mutilate no fiberglass. The cabin itself has a 75 cfm fan that exits thru a vent located in the galley. It vents into the cockpit. So the cabin has a very good ventilation that is going 24/7 off shore power. It has taken all of these efforts to get the air tolerable, but I'm still pretty bummed out. Can all of these problems be beaten, or should I accept that former neglect may indeed have destroyed an otherwise beautiful boat? Thanks, RON W

Jun 11, 2010
pearson 31-2 stradford
I feel your pain. You and I might both become solo sailers.
I just replaced mt tolet - hoses - and am waiting for new holding tank.
Hope the tank comes in today.
My tank was leaking around the suction fitting.

But the wood around it skinks -- I have tried bleach and air drying in the sun.
It still skinks -- not as much - but still smells.

rmwac

Apr 22, 2011
Catalina 30 Watkins Glen
I'm gaining.... After thorough scrubbing and drying, I painted all of the "raw" fiberglass holds, which include the holding tank copmpartment, the hanging locker, and 4 settee compartments. They stunk pretty badly, and were quite dirty. I have Peggy Hall's book on the way that I hope will have more tips. I think that a LYSOL wipedown on the wood followed by spray treatment with PURE AYRE might cure the wood issue. I don't know the particulars on how to pre-clean the wood yet, so I'll wait for the book, I guess. I'll also take down the headliners, clean, and eventually PURE AYRE them. I bought the same fogger that PURE AYRE sells for $140 on Amazon for $95. I figure it'll be a good investment for this and other odiferous adventures. PURE AYRE MARINE formula isn't cheap. I paid $62 for a gallon of the stuff, and it's my hope that the fogger may help extend the stuff a bit. It's my understanding that you must saturate the surfaces you want to neutralize, but running streams of liquid from a spray bottle are wasteful and probably no more effective than a nice misting. Heading out today with the power washer to do the engine compartment, including the area under the diesel tank that has never been cleaned. I just opened the area up last weekend with a 10" deck plate. I'm also going to change the drain hose for the head SINK. you wouldn't think it would stink, but it does. My sniffer is now able to find active areas now that others are getting cleaned up. Next time, just remind to buy a brand spankin' new Hunter...... I'd love to hear from anyone that has had some success in treating what they thought could be a hopeless odor situation. RON

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you haven't done anything yet...

You've cleaned everything within an inch of its life, so it's safe to assume that you've gotten rid of the source of your odors. The only thing left to do now is spray EVERY surface, nook and cranny with PureAyre...just let it dry with all hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can get into everywhere. Cushions: remove the covers, spray 'em....spray the foam from both sides, saturating enough to penetrate to the middle of it...put it all out in the sun to dry.

If that doesn't finally eliminate ALL the odor, you haven't found and removed whatever source still remains.

Btw...I know what a PO (previous owner) is, but what the heck is an FO?

Status
Not open for further replies.