I need a slower boat.

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
I will say I was warned. Cliff Ruckstuhl told me how fast this boat could go.
Yesterday, I was out in 10-12 knot SSW winds. Head up, Red Dog was feelin' her oats. And this isn't the first time. But I was keeping an eye on the log meter vs GPS SOG.
Now, I'll let you interpret this as you wish. At about 3 knots indicated I start to see a differential between the log meter and the GPS. The differential increasing as speed does: It's not linear though.
Flying a 110 genoa and main, if I was indicating 5+ knots, SOG was well into 6+ knots. There were a couple brief moments when SOG got within a hair's breath of 7 knots. Beam reach, I was still doing 4.5-5 knots indicated (SOG, 5-5+ knots.)
I'm not even trying to trim for speed!
It's a lot of work sailing that fast. Today, I'm tired and sore. NWS is forcasting 12-14 knots. No, I'm not going out today. If I had a crew - oh yeah. Alone - hell no!
I need a slower boat.
Alec

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Now, I'll let you interpret this as you wish. At about 3 knots indicated I start to see a differential between the log meter and the GPS. The differential increasing as speed does: It's not linear though.
Here’s my interpretation. It’s likely that a) your knot meter is not calibrated properly , and/or b) you were sailing in current.

Nov 4, 2018
I agree the calibration of the log meter could be (is) off.
Sailing with the current though . . . On the three tacks with the high SOG, I was sailing against the waves (1-2 ft) plus wakes from various ferries and other power boats. Around here the power boaters seem to think their boats have to speeds, stop and full throttle. On one tack I had the waves off my starboard beam. The only time I had the waves at my stern was on my beam reach.
In general, I tend toward the SOG as I seen this differential in both my motorcycle and car speedometers.

Nov 4, 2018
Fast is fun
OH - it sure is!
Damn, though it's a lot of work for one person.
If I still had the 150 and roller on the boat, yesterday could've turn into a disaster. That sail was just too big and heavy for me. The 110 I use now is the perfect combination of sail weight, size and ease of handling.
I'm keeping the boat though. It might be work, but fast is fun!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My knot meter and my GPS are very close on one tack, and off on the other. I assume it has to do where the knotlog is mounted.

On average, they probably even out.

Now, about going too fast....not sure that I agree with that. I was out today in 25 knots today and hit 7.7 knots. I think my boats theoretical top speed is 6.9 or so. Must have been surf’in down a wave face (but the waves were only about 1-2 feet).

Maybe that was on the knotlog on the “ good tack”:wow3:

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
OH - it sure is!
Damn, though it's a lot of work for one person.
If I still had the 150 and roller on the boat, yesterday could've turn into a disaster. That sail was just too big and heavy for me. The 110 I use now is the perfect combination of sail weight, size and ease of handling.
I'm keeping the boat though. It might be work, but fast is fun!
It can be. Do you have an autopilot?

I was overpowered today (getting that 7.7 knot speed I mentioned above). I dropped the main, reefed the jib even more and spent the next few hours sailing around in winds that varied from 11 knots to over 28. Not exciting (well, occasionally) but much easier to handle while sailing solo. And I didn’t spill my :beer:.

Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Reaching, any 28 foot boat should nudge up against 7 knots. Closed hauled, mid 5s should be achievable.

Differences in speed between GPS (sog) and knotlog (sow) can be attributed to:
Improper knotlog calibration
Knotlog reading different on different tacks (very typical)
Dirty impeller
Current
GPS averaging

Any combination of any or all of the above.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
What Jackdaw said.

My aged and beat up C-30 will hit 7's every now and then reaching or with the spin up in a deep reach with good wind. Surfing is beyond that. Close? I can get 5's and sometimes 6 depending. So a 28 footer should be pretty close to that. 'cause a C-30 ain't no speed demon.. It's kinda fat and slow.

Fast is fun. Flat is fast. Love the sound in the 6's -- there's a very different "woosh" from the transom at close to hull speed. (And I haven't raced in ages... unless somebody needs crew :) )

Fast doesn't need to be a lot of work - trim the boat for the wind and sail on...

Nov 4, 2018
By "work" what I'm really saying is: I'm a 57 year old man with a typical 57 year old body and all the aches and pains that go with it. I haven't had a physical workout as I've had this summer in many a year.
I've leaned not to close haul the boat but to fall back to the middle to the bottom of the green/red band on the wind indicator for best speed.
Main sail control line are all new with the exception of the topping lift and jiffy reef. The blocks for the boom vang are in good shape, but some previous owner had the brilliant idea of stuffing 1/2" line through blocks with a 3/8" max line size. Taken care of that with and ran the vang line back to cockpit so I might actually use it.
Sheet blocks, sheet, traveler, traveler lines were replaced last week. 6:1 purchase on the sheet and 4:1 on the traveler, so I think I'm pretty well set there.
The genoa sheets still need to be replaced. Lead blocks and tracks should be lubed.
I do have a wheel pilot - a God send! - and use it to my advantage.
It really all gets back to paragraph one. As far as log meter vs SOG, a curiosity and observation rather than some that I'll lose sleep over.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm 58 and I'm guessing you don't want know what I consider fast sailing.

Curiously, the older I get the less sore I get, because I have learned not to make mistakes or strain. Focus on doing things smoothly and under control. It will come.

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah, maybe banging those moguls wasn't that great of an idea.
Oh, yeah. Too many moguls, too much rock scrambling (hiking), too many times falling off rock cliffs/frozen waterfalls. Just too much of it all
But, hey, we were all young, dumb and invincible at one time!

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I'm paying for injuries and whatnot from my twenties.
I hear you, buddy!

As my knee surgeon said to me after my first knee surgery in my late 50s, “you’re going to want a new one of those one of these years. You’ve had too many adventures with that one”

Last edited: